Latest post Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:50 PM by Kevin Klimek. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:49 PM

XDCAM EX MXF to Color

Hi guys, just want to have some opinions on my onlining workflow for a tv series i´m about to wrap up.

So, we´re editing in Avid Media Composer 5.03, where we have material from XDcam ex, Canon 7D and Gopro. We´ve agreed to transcode all the material to Xdcam Ex 35mbit MXF for editing, which has worked fine.

Now, we are going to Color and Final Cut for mastering. I plan to use automatic duck for recreating the timeline in ProRes 422 HQ and then taking it to Color. I use Automatic Duck for this.

Whats my best bet; linking back to the old files using AMA and then sending or just do a AAF export with the material i already have? I plan to use Calibrated MXF´s codec for reading the files and transcode to ProRes. Anyone tried this?

Transcoding the material two times is one too many for my taste, but I did some thorough testing using regular export, and I don´t see any quality loss on my broadcaster monitor.

Any comments? Better suggestions?"

(posted on creative cow as well)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB MC 7.0.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:50 PM In reply to

Re: XDCAM EX MXF to Color

It's been a bit hit-or-miss for us using AAF with FCP, especially with 5D.  FCP may or may not originate timecode for those clips, or it could be different from what Avid generates.

We have also seen sequences line up in FCP, but when they get sent to Color, the timeline is messed up.

Best to test.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller