Latest post Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:19 PM by Randall L. Rike. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 18 2010 8:30 PM

portable server?

is there something like a miniature unity server that has about 16TB worth of storage, and both PC based MC and Mac based MC can edit from, or am I dreaming? have a very large edit coming up using 3 different freelance editors, two with mac's and one running an older HP (he would probably be updating a lot of hardware for this project). It has to be portable so we can bring it to the location and edit the daily rough cuts out of a hotel room for 25-30 days, then brought back to the post house for finishing edits with the clients.

any ideas?

Media Composer 6.0.1, Mac Pro 8 core 2.66, 16gb RAM, Nvidia geforce 120, Lion 10.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 18 2010 8:56 PM In reply to

Re: portable server?

One of these: http://www.avid.com/US/products/ISIS5000

or one of these: http://www.avid.com/US/products/Unity-MediaNetwork

and a rackmount flight case with casters.  Plenty of broadcasters use those.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Sat, Dec 18 2010 9:04 PM In reply to

do you know how much the isis goes for?

Media Composer 6.0.1, Mac Pro 8 core 2.66, 16gb RAM, Nvidia geforce 120, Lion 10.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 18 2010 11:21 PM In reply to

When first introduced, the entry-level price was $38k.  Note that this includes 40 seats and 32TB raw, 24TB after RAID-5 ...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/455299-Avid_Intros_Cheaper_Storage_Solution.php

You should contect your local reseller for current pricing.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 2:03 AM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

You can use Caldigit or Sonnet solutions. They are "portable" solutions. We use HD Element (3x4TB) with mini-sas on MacPro (with Caldigit RAID card). If you don't edit multicam HD, you can share with gigabit link between the workstations. Low cost and that work. Regards, William

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 19 2010 2:28 AM In reply to

so those caldigit ones can have two-three editors editing HD video at the same time? if so, that looks more economical than the 38k for the isis. can't really swing that right now!

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 2:45 AM In reply to

Unity/ISIS systems manage the "sharing" of media for you.  Media Composer is Unity/ISIS aware, and that management is transparent to the user.  EditShare & TerraBlock will work in a similar way.  Any other solutioin requires that you manually create Read-Write & Read-Only volumes, and personally manage them, to prevent the corruption of the media databases.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 5:38 PM In reply to

This looks like a viable option too, or would it not work?

http://www.caldigit.com/SuperShare/index.asp

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 5:55 PM In reply to

"... or would it not work ..."

Define "work" Hmm

They don't even provide a "complete" solution, and you're on your own to set it up & manage the "sharing" ...

"Then install your choice of SAN software to manage the system, in conjunction with a gigabit network for metadata traffic"

"CalDigit provides the complete hardware solutions for SuperShare.  SAN software is required and you can choose between, meatSAN, XSAN or StorNEXT".

And, still, you need to manage the traffic to avoid corruption of the media databases.

(wwld)

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 6:30 PM In reply to

by managing traffic, are referring to making sure the editors stick to a strict system to ensure all the files stay in the same bins and whatnot? I guess I am confused on that one.

and by work, I mean can I set up the super share, my SAN software, hook up something like the HDpro2 then connect two computers and start editing media we dump to the HDpro2? I know I need an adapter card for each computer, but it seems like in a pinch this will handle all the media for two computers to edit from. 

I understand the avid system is better and more capable, but I honestly dont have 38k to spend on that right now.

• Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

Managing Traffic:  On Avid shared storage, each system is actually writing to a uniquely named folder that matches it's computer name.  So, in fact, the systems are never writing to the same folder.  Meanwhile, Avid will "read" from any folder that contains accurate & valid media database files.  So, all systems can read any media on the system.  The folder structure for an Avid Shared Storage system with 2 editing stations, named Edit1 and Edit2, would look like this.  (The .1 folders are for the first 5,000 files.  The .2 folders are because the editors generated more than 5,000 files, and Avid created a 2nd folder)

\Avid MediaFiles
         \Edit1.1
         \Edit1.2
         \Edit 2.1
         \Edit 2.2
    ... etc.

In each Avid media folder, there a pair of media database files.  Only one system can manage those.  They get updated when you add or delete files in that folder.  If two systems had Read-Write access, they'd each be trying to update the files, overwriting each others recent updates, possibly corrupting the database files, and then the files would never properly reflect an accurate representation of what's in that folder.

Additionally, Avid editing systems are Unity & ISIS "aware".  This means, if they see Avid shared storage, they write to it using the folder structure described above.  If they see non-shared storage, they use the typical flat folder structure.

My questioning the term "work" was a little tongue-in-cheek.  When you have to install a separate 3rd party SAN software, create an ethernet-based network for management, and then still have to manually figure out how to keep the systems from trashing the media database files ... I, persoanlly, wouldn't say it "works".  Technically, it does though, but at what expense.

On non-Avid shared storage, you'll need to manually set up Read-Write access volumes for system to write to.  Then, assign Read-Only access to all the other systems, so they can't trash the media databases.

(wwld)

Filed under:
  • Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:19 PM In reply to

"... but I honestly dont have 38k to spend on that right now. ..."

Consider buying a used Avid system.  No recommendations here, just a quick Google & E-Bay search ....

Quickie Google Seach #1

Quickie Google Seach #2

(wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller