Latest post Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:31 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:09 PM

• Riptides
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 1 2006
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 50
    • Points 680

Moving media to new drives

Hey guys,

We recently upgraded our box to a nice shinny z800.  Loving it.  Having some media moving issues.  I'm moving media from our projects from our old SCSI array to a new eSATA RAID.  I've done this in the past without issue.  I use the MDV media tool to copy the files off of the old drives to the new.  Normally when we fire up the Avid, it scans the new files and links them to the clips in the projects.  It seems that not all of the files are relinking themselves.  I know the media is there, the file sizes and file count's are identical but Avid is still showing the files as offline and linked to the old drives.  If i try to re-link to the new drives (the old drives are not connected) it fails to re-link any clips.  I can't really use the media tool within Avid since we have some older P2 MXF files that were imported the old fashioned way (mxf's copied directly to the media directory). Any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

-Bri

Macbook Pro (Lion) | 2.5Ghz i7 | 8Gb RAM | Radeon HD 6770M [view my complete system specs]

Brian Dieck

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: Moving media to new drives

Rebuild the media database files. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

And be sure, when moving media, that you have followed the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

First thing I would do is delete your database files. Exit Avid, then go into the media folders. Delete anything with a .mdb extension. Avid should then rescan the drives and rebuild the databases next time you open.

Hopefully this fixes everything!

Z

EDIT: Looks like Larry beat me to it!

• Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:31 PM In reply to

What you need to do is delete your.....oh, never mind.  Smile

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller