Latest post Thu, Aug 25 2011 7:44 PM by mjolnarn. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 6:07 PM

Importing .wmv or .mpg files in MC5.0.3

MC5 doesnt allow me to import above extension files. What to do? Any kind of program for converting these files? What are compatible formats for import?

Media Composer 5.0.3, QuickTime v7.6.8(1675), Dell Studio XPS 1645 , Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 23 2010 6:16 PM In reply to

Re: Importing .wmv or .mpg files in MC5.0.3

One of the greatest let downs of MC.

PPro, Liquid, Vegas and almost anything else can import mpeg (DVD compliant files as well)

except from MC.

As anyone else will tell you that you need to convert it to QT with TMPGEnc or any other converter.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(320.78)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.0 with Symphony Option/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

• Tue, Nov 23 2010 7:16 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

MC5 doesnt allow me to import above extension files. What to do? Any kind of program for converting these files? 

If you bought the bundle together with Avid, you should have Sorenson Squeeze there, it is delivered together with Media Composer to assist with encodings, to get some grips about the workflow I created a tutorial for an other user a while ago that might give you some ideas, he tut is linked from here.

View this post at http://community.avid.com/forums/p/84370/477556.aspx#477556

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

What are compatible formats for import?

Media Composer is Quicktime based, for fast workflows you don´t even have to import them if you are using MC 5, you can just link them using AMA for fast previewings and consolidate afterwards to get the desired parts of that media into your system

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 4:26 AM In reply to

Sorenson Squeeze is only for Mac.  I do use windows.  I tried 'linking AMA' option regards to .mpg file as you described, but following error appears:

------  AMA Link To File(s)  ------

[ Plugin Name = MVP_MSP_SonyXDCAM Vendor Name = Avid Technology, Inc. Version = 3.1 ] does not support C:\Users\Niranjan\Videos\Agaskar Interview\Agaskar Interview full.mpg
     [ Plugin Name = MXF Plug-in Vendor Name = Avid Technology, Inc. Version = 1.1 ] does not support C:\Users\Niranjan\Videos\Agaskar Interview\Agaskar Interview full.mpg
     [ Plugin Name = RED R3D Plug-In (R3DSDK v3.1) Vendor Name = Avid Technology, Inc. Version = 1.1 ] does not support C:\Users\Niranjan\Videos\Agaskar Interview\Agaskar Interview full.mpg
     [ Plugin Name = MVP_MSP_QuickTime Vendor Name = Avid Technology, Inc. Version = 1.0 ] does not support C:\Users\Niranjan\Videos\Agaskar Interview\Agaskar Interview full.mpg
    help filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Avid Media Composer\Help\MCHelp.chm

Media Composer 5.0.3, QuickTime v7.6.8(1675), Dell Studio XPS 1645 , Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 24 2010 4:53 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

Sorenson Squeeze is only for Mac. 

With the bundle, it comes for both Windows and Mac

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

I tried 'linking AMA' option regards to .mpg file as you described, but following error appears:

I actually wrote quicktime files, those are always with the extension mov, sorry for not beeing clear about that.

You might also want to download and try the free mpeg streamclip and export the mpg to a movfile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 5:08 AM In reply to

Dear, I have purchased avid mc5 from webstore which came along with only downloadable version of MC5, and nothing else.  Where do I get the free converter you said? 2ndly are you talking about free mpeg streamclip? Whats that?

I need final output. I have HD format .mpg file which needs to be imported to MC5. How to go about the same?

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 5:20 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

To find mpeg streamclip, google is your friend

http://www.squared5.com/

You might get some ideas about the codec settings in the little tut I linked to

About the Avid bundle, you really should buy it, you get lots for those money, Avid Fx ( Boris Red )  Boris Continuum , Sorenson Squeeeze , SonicFire Pro , Avid Dvd etc

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 6:27 AM In reply to

I installed the file but while importing, it ways Apple MPEG-2 Playback component not installed. It asks me to uninstall QT, and install QU Alternative 1.81, this is a tedious procedure.  I thing I wont be able to conver mpeg to avi or QT format. Any help? I am desperate as I am starting a new project on MC 5

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 6:40 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

Dr, the editing world is a codec jungle, I can try to get you through some first initial steps, is it possible for you to zip and publish a small file that can be downloaded for testings.

There are also two codec analyzers that I use myself, both are free, you might want to do a codec test on that file by yourself using one or both of them

The names to google are Gspot and Mediainfo, what one of them aren´t able to analyze the other one´s mostly is able to

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 6:57 AM In reply to

Sir,

1. I have uninstalled Apple 7.6.8 and installed Quicktime Alternative 1.81 as was the pre-requisite to use MPEG Streamclip.
    2. Then installed MPEG Streamclip. Now I am able to play up my .mpg file in that. Also I am able to get options for conversions to AVI / DV and others.

Taking into consideration, my .mpg file has been created in Avid Liquid 7, from HD footage from my Sony HDR-HC9E cam.  In Liquid I gave options of 1440x1080 MPG-2 format compatible with HD content. This is how this file was created. Its playing well in WMP too apart from QT.

Now, as I want to HD content to be preserved while importing the 'will be converted avi' file, I want to know what compression I should use in MPEG stremclip export to AVI option so that I can import the converted file into MC5 seamlessly.

I hope I am very clear now.

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 7:24 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

If this is your editing machine with MC 5 on it, Quicktime 7,6,6 is the version to be used, I believe that we told you that also in another thread, works fine with mpeg streamclip, I have it myself.

If you still have your projects present in Liquid you might want to read and study the tutorial I created for bringing Liquid projects into Media Composer, it is pinned at the top of this forum.

If all you have is old Liquid created files mpeg streamclip should be able to convert those to a Avid DNxHD codec that will fast import into Media Composer if all the settings are done correct, the post I linked you to about the tutorial might give you some clues about settings, be sure to use 601 / 709 as colour space.

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:16 AM In reply to

mjolnarn:

If all you have is old Liquid created files mpeg streamclip should be able to convert those to a Avid DNxHD codec that will fast import into Media Composer if all the settings are done correct, the post I linked you to about the tutorial might give you some clues about settings, be sure to use 601 / 709 as colour space.

I wish to know what are the options to convert my existing mpg file into Avid DNxHD codec using mpeg streamclip? How to go about it?

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

With the file opened up in Mpeg Streamclip, go to " export as quicktime " open up the video codec dialogue and select Avid DNxHD from the scrolldown list, from the new scrolldown list that will show up select 120 50i for Pal or 145 60i for Ntsc, colour space 601, non alpha and press create.

Post 3 from the top of this thread will link you to a tutorial created for Squeeze, will give you some hints about the codec settings however but remember to select 601 as colourspace otherwise it will not fast import into Media Composer.

Tomas

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:53 AM In reply to

I selected export as quicktime under file menu. A box with compression settings appeared with 'apple png, h.263 and various others ' as scroll down list under this setting appears. There is no such thing as video codec dialogue. Even any setting named Avid is missing fro drop down list. I could have sent you a snapshot of the same screen but I dont know how to post it here. I am sorry as I am new to MC5, a lot of these hassles. Hope you understand.

Secondly, can I export a file or sequence in Liquid 7 to FUSE format with m2v extension and import this file into MC5? This is second option I am thinking of. I dont have a mojo for MC5. So I am capturing clips in Liquid 7 using its mojo and trying to convert the same files into MC5 compatible format.

• Wed, Nov 24 2010 9:09 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 11,823
    • Points 140,665

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

I selected export as quicktime under file menu. A box with compression settings appeared with 'apple png, h.263 and various others ' as scroll down list under this setting appears. There is no such thing as video codec dialogue. Even any setting named Avid is missing fro drop down list. 

If this is the same computer that you have Media Composer installed on, you should have those codecs listed into the Quicktime codecs scroll down list.

The second scrolldown list will show up once the correct DNxHD codec is selected, again, please take a look at the tutorial I linked you to.

Dr. Niranjan M Wagh:

Secondly, can I export a file or sequence in Liquid 7 to FUSE format with m2v extension and import this file into MC5? This is second option I am thinking of. 

No, for workflows directly from Liquid to Media Composer, take a look at that other tutorial in the pinned thread at the top of this forum as described earlier in this thread

Tomas

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller