Latest post Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:14 PM by dave@7ate9.com. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 14 2010 2:01 PM

• Anthony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 21 2010
    • Sydney
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

Exporting Multitrack Audio Files

This is a really basic question but my issue:

I want to export a WAVE file of my audio. I have channels A1-6 and want the sound files to export it without mixing the tracks into a stereo mix (so there's six mono channels). I can not seem to find an option to group channels or specify how to mixout the channels as six seperate tracks.

I did a bit of research and thought it would be in my Audio Project settings under Output, but I only have the option of Stereo and Mono....there is no option (as in the help menu) to export up to 16 Audio tracks. Is this something to do with my hardware? I am on a MacMini.

Mac OS 10.6.4 | MacMini: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NIVIDA Gefore 9400 256MB graphics card, 500gb HD | Media Composer 6.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 14 2010 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: Exporting Multitrack Audio Files

I think it only works if you have a BOB that allows for more than 2 outputs. Then you would need to choose Direct Out in the Audio Project Output tab and do a QT Ref with the mixdown deselected.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 14 2010 3:15 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

On a software only sys, the alternative seems to be, with 6 mono audiotracks, to do 6 exports selecting one track at the time

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Nov 14 2010 4:03 PM In reply to

• Typhon2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 4 2010
    • Brussels - Belgium
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,025

That's a functionality that i'm looking for too. Even with an avid hardware allowing you to output 4-8 audio channels (direct output), you WILL NOT be able to export a movie file with more than two tracks. When you want to export the file, MC will ask you to change your audio settings to stereo.

I remember reading that there is a way to achieve a multi audio track file export using the qt ref. But I never tried it.

15x z420 - MC 8.7.2 - ISIS 5500 3x64TB - Interplay 3.5 - ProTools 12.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:45 AM In reply to

• Anthony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 21 2010
    • Sydney
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

That is really frustrating!

Basically I keep digital copies of all finished projects. Channels 1&2 Stereo Mix dialogue & upsots. Channel 3 Mono SFX. Channel 4 Mono Music. I thought that was pretty standard, especially laying out to tape so that if you ever need to refer to the program you at least have a clean slice of audio, sfx or music on recapture.

I can't believe Avid MC5 can not do this, surely it can .... have been using FCP for years and its a very simple process. MC5 feels much more advanced and is more superior than FCP, can anyone figure this out?

Mac OS 10.6.4 | MacMini: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NIVIDA Gefore 9400 256MB graphics card, 500gb HD | Media Composer 6.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:17 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,184
    • Points 23,370

make a new send to templete and export the audio tracks to omfi and embed the audio files

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:01 PM In reply to

If you have Direct Out enabled, you can export a QT Ref which keeps the references to the individual audio tracks. Once you have it, you can open it up in QuickTime Pro and do a Save As. That will flatten the ref movie into a self-contained  QuickTime with all of your audio tracks intact.

Mac OS X 10.9.5, MC/Symphony v8.4.2, Nitris DX, AJA ioExpress Sony HDCAM-SR SRW-5500 Panasonic AJ-3700HD D5 etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:14 PM In reply to

Yes but QUicktime Pro deletes your timecode track from the quicktime. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller