Latest post Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:19 PM by John Moore. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 9 2010 5:39 AM

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Question for you Nitris DX users

I switched two of our Symphony Classic Nitris rooms over to Nitris DX. This is on XW8400s. Now I can't output an HD sequence with color correction without rendering EVERYTHING.

Some shots will play, but I never know where it is going to stall. A dissolve between two color corrected shots is guaranteed to kill it.

I knew I was going to have to render a lot more than with the Classic Nitris since I had one room up on PC before, but I never really hit it and it has been converted to a Mac based FCP / Symphony bay that has been running as FCP for quite a while. (Don't ask, it's the state of the industry) But I never knew it would be this bad. 

To have a reliable output, meaning one that won't bail out in front of a client, I now have to render the entire thing. 

Does this mirror the experience of others? 

PS: Makes it no better in performance than FCP with a Kona card. :-(

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Nov 9 2010 9:46 AM In reply to

Re: Question for you Nitris DX users

I switched to an XW8600. Is the DX even qualified with a 8400?

I often render everything for critical outputs, but during editing, I haven't had any real issues. Usually one or two color corrections plus a framing matte, with DNxHD sources.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 9 2010 6:07 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I'm on a Mac but I haven't had any issues outputting to tape any unrendered color corrections in DNxHD. I ran off a 20 minute show to HDCAM the other day that had a global correction that wasn't rendered.

Maybe the CPU is underpowered? Is the DX card in a 4 lane PCIE slot?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Nov 9 2010 6:18 PM In reply to

My initial guess would echo the previous ones as well.  The xw8400 may not be up to snuff.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Nov 9 2010 6:23 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Job ter Burg:
    I switched to an XW8600. Is the DX even qualified with a 8400?

Good question, The only thing I can find now is the Z800 as a requirement at which point it may be smarter to just go Mac on all the rooms so they can all be dual boot FCP / Avid finishing rooms.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:19 PM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,460

I've had good luck with the Mac SNDX.  Most of my work has been SD.  I did do a an HD series on it with a bunch of AVCHD that was converted to P2 with the main concepts app and then imported to DNX and offlined at full rez.  I always render the entire sequence with a Safe Color Limiter effect because I don't have a decent legalizer in the room. 

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller