Latest post Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:35 AM by Rastus Washington. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 9:44 PM

Copy thousands of mxf files from work to edit at home?

Paragraph formatting is not working for some reason... I am trying to copy mxf files from a work Mac Media Composer 4.05 for use at my home PC Media Composer 4.02. The show is a large 4 camera shoot. We have a TerraBlock system going to two Avids. I copied the 10:1 SD mxf files to an external firewire drive. There's a ton of files. Folder 1 has 5014 files totaling 149GB. Folder 2 has 1171 files totaling 35.8GB. When I plug the drive in at home and start MC, it stalls trying to index the firewire drive. The files are not big there's just a lot of them. Am I insane to think I can do this with an external firewire drive? Would dividing the files into more folders help? Can anyone give me a better work-flow for coping a huge show home with me so I can work there? Thanks
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 9:53 PM In reply to

Re: Copy thousands of mxf files from work to edit at home?

Move 2000 files approx from folder 1 to folder 2. Make sure you have deleted the two database files in both folders 1 and 2.

What OS format (HFS, NTFS, FAT) is the firewire drive?

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:55 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

The problem is most likely the format of the external hard drive you have.  Mac OS uses the HFS format and Windows uses the NTFS format.  The two formats are not compatible.

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:12 PM In reply to

I formatted the drive in Fat. It was the only way I could use the drive on both. 

Thanks AndrewAction. I'll try that. 

• Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:44 PM In reply to

FAT32 is not suppported by Avid for editing, only file transfer.  You'd be better off copying that media to an NTFS formatted media drive.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 12:02 AM In reply to

Good idea.  I'll move it over to another drive. Reformat FireWire to NTFS then move it back.

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 12:57 AM In reply to

If this workflow will be ongoing, buy Paragon-NTFS for your Mac system, and you can then write to the NTFS-formatted drive(s).

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 1:29 AM In reply to

you could also copy the database files from the terrablock so re-scaning is not necessary.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:35 AM In reply to

I stand corrected. 

Earlier tonight I started the Avid and left it indexing the ext. FireWire drive while I went to do other things. When I returned about two hours later the project selection window was displayed. 

I'm not sure how long it took to index but the clips seem to play fine. I tried it a couple times last night but gave up after it bogged down. The Avid just needed patience and time I guess.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure there're are better more stables ways than doing what I did. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller