Latest post Mon, Oct 11 2010 9:15 AM by Mir. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 9 2010 10:03 PM

• faceddd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 2 2010
    • Savannah, GA
    • Posts 22
    • Points 310

AMA->Edit->EDL->DNxHD 36

This workflow is a bit odd, but ignoring the circumstances that have brought us to this point, is it possible to:

Bring R3D in to the Avid (5.0.3) via AMA.

Cut the film.

Experience a bunch of playback errors, etc.

Transcode all of the already edited media to an OFFLINE codec (DNxHD 36)...

and then simply REPLACE the edits in my sequence/timeline linking to the R3D AMA media with the newly transcoded DNxHD 36 media? None of the original R3D filenames have changed, and the timecode is the same for the DNxHD 36 media as it is for the R3D media. Can the clips in my timeline literally be swapped out with the new offline clips?

Would an EDL work to bring the project back using the DNxHD 36 codec as opposed to having to continue to cut in R3D AMA?

As I said before, this workflow is counterproductive, so now, being well into the project, I need to find a way to offline every thing to DNxHD 36 without having to recut the film.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Avid MC 5.0.3.5 MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM 500GB Hard Drive SATA @ 7200rpm [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 10 2010 6:23 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: AMA->Edit->EDL->DNxHD 36

If you transcode the AMA media into DNXx inside the Avid it should relink to your existing sequence(s).  If the RED media got into the Avid a different way, that's another story.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Oct 11 2010 9:15 AM In reply to

• Mir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 3 2007
    • Europe
    • Posts 45
    • Points 525

Re: AMA->Edit->EDL->DNxHD 36

You dont need any EDLs, you can just relink the sequence back and forth from AMA to DNxHD.

I say transcode everything to DNxHD36... especially if you are not the one finishing in the end!

What I usually do is that I import the RED via AMA, transcode everything to DNxHD36. Keeping in mind to set the Debayer in media creation to a quarter max (speeds up transcode considerably). If need be to get into the material quickly and there is no time for transcodes (and there are no computers on the Unity available) than just start editing the AMA footage and "offline" the footage overnight. I don't think AMA is capable of handling footage long term.

.: www.PostOfficeFilms.com :. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller