Latest post Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:25 PM by Mark Wawrzenski. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 8 2010 12:27 AM

wonky pan & zoom

My pan & zoom is working eradically and I'm not sure why or how to make it work consistently. On certain images--especially big ones--it creates very soft results even when set to Avid Ulta Qual. When I get these results I'll often try laying in a new piece of video, and doing the whole process again and will get greatly improved results. But sometimes that won't do the trick (it just worked on a book cover but then when I added dissolves to the clip and re-rendered the new version is bad). I'm not sure what to change and would appreciate suggestions. (For what its worth, I've also been having trouble exporting some sequences).

15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM... MC 4.0.5 ... QT 7.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:25 PM In reply to

Re: wonky pan & zoom

Pan and Zoom is fussy - those bumps! - Sometimes it's easier to copy parameters and redo the effect than wrestle with it.  The first suggestion would be to make thePaZ the exact length you need, handles included, then only use "effect from cut" at the head and "effect to cut" at the tail.  This usually works, but if it doesn't build the PaZ in its own layer (with handles) and put the incoming and outgoing shots on top of it.  That way the effects can't possibly tamper with the bottom layer.

It also might be good to render the PaZ as it's own shot at HiRez and then do a mixdown on it once it's perfect.  Then use the mixdown in your owrkflow, but keep the PaZ in a bin or hidden on the timeline in case you have to revisit the project.   I've never had to resort to this yet but it's always been a backup plan.

I can't help you with the softness on shots.  Sometimes I reduce the dpi and size of an image to make it more manageable.  I very seldom use Ultra Qual as B Spline Catmull does the trick for 90% of what I do.

iMac 3.4 GHz i7 32GB 10.11.6 AJA ioXT Avid MC 8.6.5 [view my complete system specs]

Alkemy X  Philadelphia, PA www.alkemy-x.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller