Latest post Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:15 AM by Guy Harding. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:25 PM

Moving/archiving a project to a new external HD, consolidating problems

I basically copied the project/bin files to the new drive, opened the project, and figured I would consolidate/relink the media in each bin to the new drive.  Can someone tell me why this is wrong?  For some reason, once I hit the "consolidate" button, it either closes the window and nothing happens, aka all the media is still on the original drive, or I get the following error message:

"Can't delete mob because it is still being referenced"

or

"Exception: Operation not supported, filename:/Volumes/Lacie?AvidMediaFiles/MXF/1/Creating/creating1"

Can anyone help me out with a god method?  There are several projects on the original drive, and I don't want to simply copy the AMF folder with all the media in it, nor do I want to sort through a bunch of media files individually and move them, with the risk of forgetting/losing media in the transfer.

Any help appreciated as always!

MC 5.5.2.1, OSX 10.6.7, MBP 2.6 Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 10:18 PM In reply to

Re: Moving/archiving a project to a new external HD, consolidating problems

If you just moved your project & bin files, you don't need to relink. 

Try deleting the media databases and allowing them to rebuild.  Double-check that there is nothing in the "Creating" folders; if there is delete it.

Now try consolidating again.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 10:07 PM In reply to

I guess what I meant by "relink" is when I use consolidate I use the "relink to media on the target drive" option. 

I deleted the databases/creating folders on the new drive and still the same "Exception" error described above.  No luck...is my whole method of doing this wrong?  Do I have to individually find each file and move it to the new AvidMediaFiles folder?

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 10:43 PM In reply to

TruckerEarl:
    I basically copied the project/bin files to the new drive, opened the project, and figured I would consolidate/relink the media in each bin to the new drive

Let's look at that closely - you say you copied the project and bin files - hopefully meaning you copied the specific project folder inside the master "Avid Projects" folder - but did you copy the "Avid MediaFiles" folder as well from the original media drive to the new drive? And if so, is it named exactly that and at the root level of the new drive?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:07 PM In reply to

Herein lies the problem--I didn't copy the AvidMediaFiles folder from the original drive, because it contains media from about 4-5 other projects.  I only want to copy the media from the project in question.  Is there an easy way to go about this without adding any of the media from the other projects?  In the past the consolidate feature seemed to work this way but since upgrading to MC5 it seems I can't use the same method.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:19 PM In reply to

For Mac there's a program called MediaSift that will cluster media files by project at the folder level. There is also a program MDV that does the same thing, but it's only available for PC. But consolidation is also an option and should be working for you - why do you say you can't use that method with MC 5?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:37 PM In reply to

See first post--for some reason I keep getting error messages (or no errors, just nothing happening and files staying on the original volume) when I try to consolidate.  Downloaded Mediasift, but looks like it only works with OMFI and not MXFs...and I am on Mac 10.6.4

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:40 PM In reply to

Are you able to write anything to the new drive? Like capturing or importing media and see if it creates files on the new drive?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:15 AM In reply to

• Guy Harding
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 2 2010
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 62
    • Points 750

you could open your media tool and select only to view your project and no one elses, then consolidate those clips and precomputes to the new drive...

2x2.4GHz Quad Core Mac Pro, 5.1 16GB Ram, OSX 10.8 MC 7.04 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller