Latest post Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:27 PM by Stephen Montgomery. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 26 2010 8:20 PM

DNxHD After Effects Quicktime codec error (-8960)

Hi, Sorry if this is not exactly the right forum, my problem occurs before I get to the MC stage!

I'm rending out text in after effects (no footage) using the Avid DNxHD codec. But the only way to get it to render is to turn off the alpha channel in the codec settings. Otherwise I get the "Quicktime codec error (-8960)". This is useless because i need to text to go over the video in MC. I could of course just render off in another format, and that does work fine but wouldnt it be nice to do everything Avid native? (I have high brand loyalty...)

Avid Media Composer 5 Avid Symphony 6 Windows 7 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800, Asus Xonar D2 Audio. PDW-700 XDCAM Cameras (Mostly shooting HD422 (50... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:13 PM In reply to

Re: DNxHD After Effects Quicktime codec error (-8960)

IIRC, DNx codecs should now support Alpha Channel.

In your AE Comp Render settings: 

Enter your Output Module Settings

Choose Format Options, and select Avid DNxHD Codec from the Compression type pulldown

Under Compressor>Depth, choose Millions of Colors+

>Alpha choose "Uncompressed"

>Resolutions:  choose your Raster/FrameRate Codec and Bit Rate as appropriate for your project (ie, 1080i/59.94 DNxHD145 8-bit

Note:  I was just running through testing this and attempted to import my test comp into Avid setting it up for what should've resulted in a Fast Import, but it crashes MC with (Exception: FATAL_ERROR, msg:Assertion failed: numOfBytes <= m_outSample->GetBufSizeInBytes(AVS::cVideo), file:/Snapshots/relengsnow2_1281994741/coresw/ame/Projects/Mac/../../src/Consumers/ImportExport/GenImpConsumer.cpp, line:213)

So, the good news is that I was able to create a QT with DNx codec and Alpha, but now it won't Import into Avid.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

• gorky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,760

I have the same on mac.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 27 2010 4:23 AM In reply to

• Hoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2005
    • Ohio
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,415

Using MC5, the Quick Import won't work.  I have to intentionally choose a different quality setting to make this work.  For example, using AfterEffects, I render out a Quicktime with Alpha at the DNxHD 220X setting.  Then I import it into Avid MC with my settings set at 145.  It asks me if I want to keep the resolution of the file or convert it to my current settings.  If I keep the resolution (and it starts the quick import) it fails, but if I force it to convert the 220X to 145, then it works.  It takes longer, but at least it imports.

I hope there is a fix for this soon.  I miss the quick import feature.

(1): Media Composer 2018.12 ∙ Windows 7 Pro ∙ HP Z840 Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz ∙ 64GB RAM HP Samsung DDR4 2133 ∙ NVIDIA Quadro K4200 385.69 ∙ Matrox Mojito... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 27 2010 5:01 AM In reply to

Hoh:
    I hope there is a fix for this soon.  I miss the quick import feature.

Me too.  Thanks for working through the workaround though.  In the meantime, I plan to do my AE renders at DNx220 10-bit, but then import into MC either at DNx 220 (not X) or DNx145 that should prevent too much loss.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:27 PM In reply to

The fix I have found at the AE stage is to add to render que, save project, close AE, reopen AE and project, render. Then it is fine. I have no problems importing into MC5 but it does not seem very quick at all. A 5 second long DNxHD120 quicktime (with alpha) rendered from AE takes about 15 seconds to import with Media Creation settings all at DNxHD120.

Avid Media Composer 5 Avid Symphony 6 Windows 7 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800, Asus Xonar D2 Audio. PDW-700 XDCAM Cameras (Mostly shooting HD422 (50... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller