Latest post Thu, Sep 23 2010 5:04 AM by luca.mg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 21 2010 12:51 AM

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 4 2007
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

Can I use 'install 3gb' to up my ram usage when using a dual boot computer already having 2 operating systems?

My computer is already a dual boot system with Windows XP and Windows 7. When you run 'install 3gb' for the purpose of having Avid use more ram, it creates a dual boot system of either Windows Xp or Windows XP 2.7GB. Since I already have a dual boot system, running the 'install 3gb' doesn't seem to work. It says it applied successgully when I run 'install 3gb' but then when I restart my computer, my only choices for operating systems is Windows Xp and Windows 7. And When I run Avid, I still get the message saying I'm running on a lower ram usage and recommends I run 'install 3gb' to to use 2.7GB or ram.

So is there a way to run the Install 3gb on a system that already is dual boot? If not, is there another way I can configure the system so Avid can access 2.7GB of ram?

Windows 7 Avid Media Composer 5 Quicktime 7 Intel core i7 2600k quad core cpu 3.4GHz 8 GB Ram NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti Hawk 1GB video card Hitachi Deskstar... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Sep 21 2010 1:43 AM In reply to

Re: Can I use 'install 3gb' to up my ram usage when using a dual boot computer already having 2 operating systems?

Me too, am interested to know more about it. I also built my home system and encountered the same option. It's no big deal but would be cool if there's a way to skip the DOS screen to choose Windows XP 2.7GB.

Actually I had MC3 but instaled MC5Trial recently. Now, it's expired so I need to reinstall MC3.

anyone?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:04 AM In reply to

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

Re: Can I use 'install 3gb' to up my ram usage when using a dual boot computer already having 2 operating systems?

Did you still need to use the 'Install 3GB' utility with MC5?

Windows 7 Avid Media Composer 5 Quicktime 7 Intel core i7 2600k quad core cpu 3.4GHz 8 GB Ram NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti Hawk 1GB video card Hitachi Deskstar... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 21 2010 8:33 PM In reply to

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

Has anyone successfully used the 'install 3gb' to up the ram usage, on a computer that is already a dual boot system? (2 operating systems). Otherwise, is there another way I can get Avid to use the recommended 2.7GB ram without using the 'install 3gb' utility?

• Tue, Sep 21 2010 8:34 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

tikboy, try setting the timeout=30 to timeout=5, the system will display the boot menu for 5 seconds, long enough to select a boot option should You need to, or else the system will boot to the 2700 config within 5 seconds, a more reasonable interval than 30"; on a system of mine I just erased the lines pointing to "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" to have the system automatically boot to "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Avid 2.7GB";

weekender, if You're on Win XP You have to run the 3GB utility, if You're on a 64 bit OS You don't need to.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Sep 22 2010 1:27 AM In reply to

@weekender: Yes, I installed the 3GB deal because MC is asking for it. I had MC3 and then MC5 trial. I realized 5 replaced 3 so I have to reinstall. I only have WinXPpro on a home-built box. (Had a fun 30day with MC5!)

@Luca: how did you do this?--

luca.mg:
    erased the lines pointing to "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

I think this is what I want to do. I'v been using the 2.7 GB setting ever since.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Sep 22 2010 8:30 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

tikboy:
    @Luca: how did you do this?
    Yuo'll have to edit the c:\boot.ini file, this is an hidden system file, readonly, You'll have to make temporarily make read/write, edit it, change file attributes back to readonly; make a backup copy before You edit the file; this is the content of mine:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Avid 2.7GB" /3GB /userva=2700 /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Sep 23 2010 1:09 AM In reply to

• weekender
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 56
    • Points 965

bump

• Thu, Sep 23 2010 5:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

luca.mg:
    weekender, if You're on Win XP You have to run the 3GB utility, if You're on a 64 bit OS You don't need to.

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller