Latest post Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:57 AM by Evan Schiff. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:57 AM

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Possible bug with Overwriting a Collapsed Clip

Bear with me as explaining this is a little convoluted, but I don't think this is supposed to work this way. Or at least I didn't expect it to work this way.

Basically, I've found that if you have a collapsed clip with an empty top Video track, i.e., the timeline label for the collapsed clip is Filler, if you overwrite the collapsed clip with the remaining contents of the collapse, that action cannibalizes the next clip in the sequence by the number of frames that the collapsed clip is long.

I've tested this on 3.5.6 and 5.0.3. To reproduce:

1. Put two clips on top of each other and Collapse them to V1
    2. Put another clip on top of the collapsed clip and Collapse again to V1
    3. Note the duration of the clip immediately following the newly collapsed clip
    4. Expand the collapsed clip, and with the Overwrite Segment tool, drag the top nested video layer up to V2
    5. The collapsed clip in V1 should now say Filler. With the Filler collapsed clip still expanded, drag the remaining nested video layer anywhere outside of the collapsed clip.
    6. Note the new duration of the clip immediately following where the collapsed clip used to be. As you'll see, Avid cut the V1 layer by the duration of the collapsed clip, starting with the clip directly after the collapsed clip.

Check out the YouTube video I uploaded for an example (best watched in fullscreen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePSEKlomxk

It seems to me that if I'm using the Overwrite (red) Segment tool, nothing I do should change the overall length of any track. Yet by dragging the contents of a collapsed clip out back into a sequence, which in theory should just un-nest it, it instead deletes from the sequence x number of frames corresponding to the length of the collapsed clip.

This seems like a bug to me, would anyone agree?

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller