Latest post Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:15 PM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:32 PM

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,060

MC5 and the new iMac compatibility

I'm wanting to buy a new 27" iMac and then install MC version 5. The system requirements chart seems to think that's an OK thing to do, however, at the bottom of the chart there are some more requirements which don't quite line up with what you get on a iMac...

Namely, the graphics card:

iMac comes with a couple options of ATI Radeon cards, but the notes from Avid say you need something from the NVidia GeForce family. Anyone know if i will need to change cards to use MC5?

Also, will the standard processor, Intel core i3 be good enough? Once again, Avid's requirements do not list that one. 

It could be that Avid has just not updated their system requirements since Apple updated the iMac, but I want to know that what I get will work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

iMac 27" Processor 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8GB Software Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6 Media Composer 6... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

• Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:31 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2007
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,720

Re: MC5 and the new iMac compatibility

I have an iMac 27" 17 core with the ati card 4gb RAM. Bascicaaly the standard 27" i7 iMac. The i7 is very good and have been editing with mc4 on a PC. No hassles.

I have tested and done some editing using MC 5.0.3 and and Mac os 10.6.3. I have mainly used it in the SD environment, and minor testing in the HD environment using the 5d mk2 video footage. I have had some issues, through firewire output with the sound and vision out of sync, but this only occurrs if you stop editing and let the imac idle for a while, come back, hit play and watch the output monitor. Both the vision and the sound can be out by a few seconds. It goes away when you stop play and then start it again immediately. Otherwise, it seems to be a fairly stable platform.

I haven't done a lot of testing or editing in other areas of MC. So you will need to specify the extent of what you are going to be doing with it. As the more complicated the workflow, may put pressure on a system that may show up the leaks.  Increasing more RAM I think will certialnly be beneficial. The ATI card is not a normal recommendation with AVID, but have read in an earlier post that it was accepted by Avid that MC5 will work with this ATI graphics card in the 27" iMac.

At the moment MC5 seems to have quite a few disgruntled users with varying issues. It may take a few more updates to iron out the rest of the bugs.  But for my limited testing, I have used it with the Imac, that is acceptable for my use. I currently have a PC system with MC version 4, as my back up though. 

Would be interested to hear how you get on.

PC - CPU: Intel Xeon i7 7700k 4.2GHz: RAM: Corsair 64gb: MomBoard: Asus Strix 270-H: GPU: ASUS Strix GTX-1070 Geforce: Nvidia v390.77 Media Composer 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 27 2010 1:50 AM In reply to

• Dwight
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 26 2010
    • Buhler
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,060

Thanks for the post. I just checked Avid's System Requirements page again and they have updated it. On iMacs only (it would appear), an ATI card is approved!  Good news.

iMac 27" Processor 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8GB Software Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6 Media Composer 6... [view my complete system specs]

Dwight Buhler   http://www.dwightbuhler.net/

• Fri, Sep 24 2010 1:41 AM In reply to

Awesome!

We're looking for a MacPro alternative (in terms of economy). I'm aware of the hardware limitations but how much are we really missing on an iMac27? Can iMac confidently perform essential task like batch capturing, editing, fx, exports, etc.?

I guess need an iMac for MC5 advocate.

Many thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Mon, Sep 27 2010 1:37 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,720

I am not sure what the hardware specs are with a Macpro. But definately the i7 Processor is a workable solution. The videoguys.com have done further testing with systems. Information there maybe helpful to your cause. I have also built a PC (windows) on a similar basis and find this config, really great. (with MC 4).

I have done some editing with both SD and HD footage and have had a few issues with the HD footage on the imac. Mainly using the AMA tapeless workflow with HD. Some of these issues is me trying to figure out how the AMA system works too. Have had the system crash a couple of times, just deciding to stop and crash MC5, a few segmentation faults. I am uncertain what this all means, as I am only running a software based system. I will be having a play with some more HD footage shortly.

I think regarding your questions as to what the imac is missing. It seems that MC5 has its own set of issues. The combination of both MC 5 and the Imac is difficult to know which one affects the other. No one seems to know the answer to that. Just  a lot of questions from users with varied experiences. I have some doubt in my mind as to the reliabilty of MC5 at the moment.

Rob

PC - CPU: Intel Xeon i7 7700k 4.2GHz: RAM: Corsair 64gb: MomBoard: Asus Strix 270-H: GPU: ASUS Strix GTX-1070 Geforce: Nvidia v390.77 Media Composer 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:02 AM In reply to

Would you recommend staying with MC3...and even with our older XpressPro than moving to MC5? I mean I've had some good and not-so-good moments with XpressPro (Studio) but MC3 is pretty good so far.

We're currently using a MacPro and a Windows workstation.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:41 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia, Victoria
    • Posts 131
    • Points 1,720

Depends upon your system requirements. But MC4 on PC Windows, seems to be fine. But I have only just gone into HD, so I reckon whatever PC is needed will need grunt and memory. I do find that MC5 and the 27inch imac 17 core 4gb RAM, does work. Adding more RAM will certainly help. BUt I haven't put MC5 and the Imac through a heavy work load. 

I still have MC4 on my PC (windows) just in case. MC5 has a new learning curve and prices have gone up and will be going up again shortly, which is a consideration.  I don't consider that MC5 is worth the price jumps and for myself am considering alternate NLE systems for future requiremnts. based upon cost, workflow and support considerations.

Personally i think MC5 and trying it on the imac has slowed me down. But that is partly my fault for wanting to work with a mac based platform. There are still bugs in MC5 which haven't been ironed out. A further release may fix that, but can sometimes take a while to work through to the updates.

MC3 was a good sytem, but HD needs more power. So you just need to consider your direction and costs.

Just my thoughts anyhow.

Rob

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 7:16 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

We have customers running MC5 on one of the new Core i7 iMacs and editing in HD. I know one of my guys is doing XD CAM and another is working with Canon DSLR footage. They are not working on long format projects. It's mainly guys doing music videos, local promo spots or short (under 30 min) shows / films.

For storage we've gotten them a G-RAID.

It's not a perfect solution, but it is getting the jon done. How I wish Apple would come out with an iMac Pro. Core i7 processor, 12GB RAM, nVidia CUDA graphics. Then add in a laptop express 34 card slot (or two), eSata ports, USB 3 and/or additional Firewire 800, and a GOD DAMN BLU-RAY burner! Price it at under $3K and watch them FLY off the shelves to video editors.

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:15 PM In reply to

thanks guys. the iMac Pro will be smashing!

someone should hangout and chat with their Apple CEO friends.

--

Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller