Latest post Tue, Aug 31 2010 2:42 AM by Randall L. Rike. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:44 AM

DNxHD or Uncompressed HD for VFX?

I am curious what type of workflows others are using to deliver shots to a VFX vendor for television and whether I can simplify our process at all.

I'm working on a show where our current workflow (very simply) is as follows:

1. Shoot multicam on HDCAM
    2. Edit sequence in Avid (Adrenaline MC v4.0.5) @ DNxHD 36, 1080p/23.98
    3. Translate VFX shots to FCP
    4. Batch Capture QTs @ Uncompressed, 10-bit, 422 in FCP & Deliver to VFX
    5. Import QTs from VFX into Avid and conform for online

I would like to get rid of FCP altogether and just use Avid, but it is my understanding that the Adrenalines cannot capture 1:1 HD, correct?  I've read posts that said an add-on PCI card was promised years ago but never materialized leaving only a Symphony Nitris able to capture at an uncompressed resolution.

That said, my only option is to capture at DNxHD 175X and deliver Same As Source QTs to our VFX vendor instead.  I am not debating the quality between 175 and 1:1, as I know they are practically indistinguishable from a broadcast standpoint, but does anyone deliver 175 resolution QTs to their VFX vendors, and do they have any problem working with it?  Or are you providing them with dailies tapes to ingest or uncompressed QTs that were created from a post facility or something totally different?

I wish I could work with 175 resolution clips for VFX, saving us a lot of time not dealing with FCP and having to transfer files back and forth compared to the uncompressed versions, but our VFX vendor seems adamant about only working with uncompressed resolutions, and it would be too expensive to send every shot out to a facility for uprezing.

What do you do, and what could we be doing to make our lives easier, if anything?  Thanks.

• MC 2018.12.7 [NEXIS 19.8.0.2 | Avid Artist DNxID] • iMac Pro (2017) [OS 10.13.6 | 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:15 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD or Uncompressed HD for VFX?

Some post houses use a simple rule to decide on compression .... if it's going to end up as a Film-Out, then work with uncompressed.  For everything else, DNx.  Your mileage may vary.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 6:55 PM In reply to

Thanks, Randall.  That's pretty much what I figured.  We won't be filming out, rather finishing at 175 and laying off to SR.

Does anyone who deals with visual effects on a daily basis in AE have a preference between DNxHD resolutions vs uncompressed?  Is there any draw back or more work involved using the Avid codec?

• MC 2018.12.7 [NEXIS 19.8.0.2 | Avid Artist DNxID] • iMac Pro (2017) [OS 10.13.6 | 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 11:30 PM In reply to

I use DNX 145 1080i/59.94 between may adrenaline and VFX House, After FX, Inferno, etc... all the time.

When everyoe has their imort/export settings correct ie: color space, frame size, DNx flavor, etc.  the fast imports are lickety split and look perfect.

MC 8.8.5 Black Magic decklink mini monitor MacPro 2 x 2.93 Quad Core 64GB RAM OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB ram ATTO R380... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:45 PM In reply to

I wish I could do the same. 

I finally took a look at our DNxHD 175X greenscreen shots in After Effects compared to the uncompressed ones from FCP, and there's a noticeable difference on the edges.  The matte from the uncompressed QTs were much cleaner so we'll at least have to provide that version for our greenscreen shots.  Our VFX guy seems okay with Avid's codec for everything else, though.

Anyone else have thoughts on a different workflow?  Is it really not possible to capture 1:1 HD on an Adrenaline still?  Do you have to use a Symphony Nitris or Final Cut Pro?  That just seems odd.

• Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:57 AM In reply to

You don't need a Symphony, just newer hardware. Media Composer with Mojo DX or Nitris DX capture uncompressed just fine.

I don't remember the exact limitations of Adrenaline, but it is doubtful that a Firewire connected box could ever do uncompressed HD.

Robert

• Tue, Aug 31 2010 2:42 AM In reply to

"... Is it really not possible to capture 1:1 HD on an Adrenaline still? ..."

"... but it is doubtful that a Firewire connected box could ever do uncompressed HD. ..."

Correct & correct.  Due to the limited bandwidth of the Firewire interface, ADrenaline HD is limited to DNxHD.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller