Latest post Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:37 PM by cable. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 24 2010 11:08 PM

Any way to link 2 unity over internet to update projects.

I am looking for a creative Unity guru here!  i have an interesting situation.... Hopefully there is an online situation / software that can solve this....

Technically we are running MC 5 and will be running 3-4 bays in offline and 1-2 bays in production.

Looking to work on a show from a different location than it's beign shot in.  Story will be done in one location (LOCATION A - PRODUCTION), footage loaded / sequences created.   Offline editing will happen from a completely different location (LOCATION B - OFFLINE EDIT).  We will need access, within a day or so of any footage or sequences loaded in location A.   Once cuts are done, Ideally cuts will be emailed and will be accessable @ location A  (may need to xfer some media tho....scratch VO, sfx etc...) Online will occur @ Location B.

I've heard legend that there is a service available for 50 bucks each end per month.  It would mirror the unity(s).  This would be ideal, since we may be adding media at both ends and it could get tricky if media gets misplaced or not avaialbe at one end.

We'd also be open to NON-unity storage if you have experience with this...however, given the circumstances I'd feel more comfortable using unity based on the situation.  Not really looking to be an experiment if possible.

Please help.  I may need a consultant on this project as well.  It's a network show and a consulting fee would be paid for anyone looking for a little adventure and some cash on the side.  Locations are Los Angeles and midwest.  Thanks!

• Wed, Aug 25 2010 1:47 AM In reply to

Re: Any way to link 2 unity over internet to update projects.

Looks like I might try DNAsync.  Thanks Randy! 

Anybody have experience with this at all?    Would love to know if anybody knows of any landmines I should know about.

• Wed, Aug 25 2010 2:10 AM In reply to

For those that aren't familiar with this ...

http://www.storagedna.com/

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:17 PM In reply to

• Mir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 3 2007
    • Europe
    • Posts 45
    • Points 525

hmmm. Sounds interesting has anyones tried this before? I'm also looking for near realtime project sharing solution. (I'm not so keen on transfering media from country to country in Europe over the slowass national networks) What do you think, would this work with by the minute syncs between 2 unity systems having the same projects open? When syncing the .lck files would it be able to see if anyone is using the bin on the other end?

cheers,

David

.: www.PostOfficeFilms.com :. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:42 PM In reply to

If you want to stay inside the Avid certified domain you could try avid's transfer manager. It does require you to hook up a transfer manager on each location to the internet and to your unity network.

Setup is not a 5 minute thing and the software costs... If you have a avid reseller he should be able to inform you.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

Ah yes, Tran$fer Manager.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

There is also something from the digidesign department called digidelivery. I'm completely unfamiliar with the product but I've had it offered once as a solution for transferring media.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:37 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 397
    • Points 5,110

I am currently using StorageDNA  (the monthly program, not the dedicated server solution) to back up one Unity in bulding A to the Unity in Building B.  It works well.  Whenever a new Unity workspace is created or deleted I have to manually update the StorageDNA settings.  This is kind of a pain. Am thinking about making a script based on rsync instead and not tying up a Unity just for backup.  I heard at NAB that they are no longer offering the monthly package. You now have to purchase the server hardware to run the backup software.  I still have it but I see their website no longer mentions it. 

Regarding the near realtime solution this would still work.  You can have it backup continously if you wanted. I just backup twice a day.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller