Latest post Sun, Aug 22 2010 9:54 PM by AndrewAction. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 21 2010 10:28 PM

• P-FO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 5 2010
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Client Monitor for Software-Only MC5?

Hello,

Is there anyway to have a dedicated client monitor with the software-only version of MC5, or do I have to use a Mojo or a Matrox Mini?

Just what does the Mojo do?  The Mojo page says virtually nothing, except it "accellerates video" and costs $7500.

I've heard and read elsewhere that you used to be able to view video by using a firewire passtrhough (ala FCP), like a deck or camera, but Avid "broke it" to force people to buy expensive hardware.

What's the down-low?

Mac Pro 1,1 (First Generation) 2x 3Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 7G RAM. Snow Leopard 10.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2010 11:28 PM In reply to

Re: Client Monitor for Software-Only MC5?

On my Mac Pro I have a Decklink HD extreme and use this for my client monitor in a 3 screen setup. (I believe almost any reasonable display card will do.)

If needing a client monitor I run in MC soft in fullscreen mode. I have saved the FS preset in a typical Source Record layout for the two CPU monitors along with the client monitor

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 4:37 PM In reply to

• P-FO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 5 2010
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

I guess a decklink is a good option as I'll need a deck interface at some point.  I've been bringing previously captured media in on an external drive.

I know I can toggle in and out of full-screen on my computer monitors, but I find that very tedious and time consuming.  I'd like a full-time video/reference monitor to view my edits.

Can you tell me what a Mojo actually does vs. the matrox mini and why somebody would use them?

Mac Pro 1,1 (First Generation) 2x 3Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 7G RAM. Snow Leopard 10.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 22 2010 5:49 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

The Mojo (and I'm assuming you mean the Mojo DX) allows for input and output. If you're talking about a classic Mojo, then it will NOT do HD (withoug downconverting), and I don't recommend it at this date and time unless you're sure you won't be doing HD work.

The Matrox Mini is a great piece of gear, and will allow you to display your HD and your SD material It will not, however, allow you to capture from tape via MC. If you're on a Mac, you can capture in FCP or Premiere (soon), and link to your captured clips via AMA.

For $450 I highly recommend the MXO2 Mini. I've been using it for a couple months now, and I've basically retired my Adrenaline box, given that most of what I do is now file based anyway, and I rarely need to capture from tape.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 22 2010 9:54 PM In reply to

P-FO:
    I know I can toggle in and out of full-screen on my computer monitors, but I find that very tedious and time consuming.
    How so?  I have full screen preset mapped to a key beside the Source Record preset for almost instant switching.

As I said above I have modified the fullscreen mode to give me exactly the same layout on the CPUs two monitors as I have in Source Record mode. Plus I  have FS on the third monitor all the time if I want it.

As Chris says the Matrox is a great option which I would add in a heart beat if I did not already have the Decklink. For me the Decklink also works as a client monitor with Protools which the Matrox does not (yet)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller