Latest post Sat, Aug 21 2010 9:43 PM by Jayanta. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 21 2010 5:40 PM

• kolinski
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 21 2010
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Importing Sd footage into HD project

Hello,

We shot a music video recently and some footage was shot on Sony Z5 1080i HD Dv and some on Panasonic AG-DVC200p SD dv.

I started a project with the Sony 1080i settings as I had this footage first. Now I am wondering what my best import setting would be to import the SD stuff into that project without losng too much quality. 

I imported the Sony stuff straight from tape but the SD footage has been given to me as a 13GB .AVI, which I have converted into .MOV

I am using Media Composer 3

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Toshiba P500 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz Total Memory 4060 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2010 6:53 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Re: Importing Sd footage into HD project

IMO you cold have converted to it HDV if you a converter that can do this. You can also import your .mov to a SD Project and open the sd bin from your HDV Project.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Sat, Aug 21 2010 7:17 PM In reply to

• sasha1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,240

why not just import the avi as is into the HDV project?

Avid 1: HP Z420. Quadro 4000, Motu, MC 7.02. Avid 2: Dell T3400 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 - 8GB RAM - Quadro K2000 - Matrox Mini - MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2010 7:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

sasha1:

Exactly my thoughts and even use the option " do not resize smaller images " into the import dialog box and use BCC Uprez to upscale it to HD

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Aug 21 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

mjolnarn:

sasha1:

Exactly my thoughts and even use the option " do not resize smaller images " into the import dialog box and use BCC Uprez to upscale it to HD

Yes This is  one of the road leading to rome. As of now as we are in tranisitional phase between HD and SD in Indii almost all my workflow contains one or the other.

In terms of Picture Quality and sharpness I have found the following works for me.

1 Irespective of of the delivareble (SD or HD ) I find that it better to work and Edit in HD.

2 getting SD footage into a HD Project I find that uprezing in Procoder gives me the best result.

3 Gettin a SD output from HD footage I find it preferable to export a HDV or or QT from the HD Project and       downconvert it to SD in Procoder and import the resulting file to a SD footage to dump to tape.

4 The upscaling and downscaling results in MC seems a little bit soft to me.

5 I fine it tedious and time consumin to apply BCC Uprez to numerous clips in the timeline.

6 Though I have incorporatd some footage via AMA I have not yet judged it value as to the final Quality.

7 upscaling and downscaling in interlaced world results in some degradation in picture quliy if you do not apply a deintalace effect when cross converting of course you can apply a timewarp effect with deintarlace on. But I prefer the Adative deinterce filter in Procoder very useful and easy to use.

Of cours I will follow any workflow in the future considering the cost benift ratio, ease of use and the final Quality.

Giving one small example - as I migrated from Adobe.s world I still use AE for my SfX work though I have seen people delivering equal or better result  using  Avid FX. AS Editor or Otherwise it is our job to deliver the best of our Ability and from this perspective a particular workflow is irrelaveant

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller