Latest post Fri, Aug 20 2010 11:53 PM by Bungloid. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 20 2010 5:33 PM

• Bungloid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 25 2007
    • New York
    • Posts 47
    • Points 605

XDCAM proxy import issue

Hi all,

Running Media Composer 4.0.5 Nitris DX, using the tradition import offline proxy off disc/online batch import finished sequence workflow.

Everything generally runs very smoothly using the PDW-F1600 deck to import proxies. The only problem arises when OCCASSIONALLY one of the proxies gets stuck on import. Has this ever happened to anyone out there?

I've imported probably 35 discs at this point, 18 clips each, and had three seperate proxies get to about 80-98% and get stuck. It's never TOO big an issue because the high res files import just fine, but obviously those take longer and use up unnecessary space. Any body share this experience or have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Avid Ver. 5.5, Mac Pro 2008 2.6 GHz 8-Core with 10 GB RAM, Flanders Scientific LM-2140W display, AJA ioExpress, M-Audio Monitors and a Blue Yeti USB Microphone... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:27 PM In reply to

• Bungloid
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 47
    • Points 605

Re: XDCAM proxy import issue

Alright, I have ANOTHER stumper that requires more immediate attention.

I have three stations all connected to the Unity. We batch import the high res XDCAM media, play the sequence down in the room we did the up res and everything is absolutely fine.

THEN we open the project in another room, correct unity space mounted and the sequence is playing back the high resolution images but the audio has literally disappeared from the sequences. You match back to the new media that the batch import created and it also does not have any audio data.

The kicker is that if I go back into the other room, same drives mounted, the high res audio is connected to both the sequences and the clips.

We can literally have two identical projects open, systems exactly the same, one playing audio, showing a sample plot, the other no audio, no sample plot, but still high res picture. If in the second room we attempt to relink the sequences, it someone how relinks to the PROXY audio. It's absurdly confusing and potentially devestating to our workflow.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Avid Ver. 5.5, Mac Pro 2008 2.6 GHz 8-Core with 10 GB RAM, Flanders Scientific LM-2140W display, AJA ioExpress, M-Audio Monitors and a Blue Yeti USB Microphone... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 20 2010 11:53 PM In reply to

• Bungloid
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 47
    • Points 605

Re: XDCAM proxy import issue

Just to update my thread in case anyone ever goes searching for this issue, I was not able to fix my initial issue with the proxy media getting stuck on import. (Any takers?!)

BUT It seems that Ive been able to address the second issue. For whatever reason, when we up res'd our XDCAM proxies, avid did not create the 24 bit audio on import. Or at least as far as I can tell it did not. Upon sifting the media tool no high res audio was found (That did not stop the high res media from coming through my speakers in the other room! RIDDLE ME THAT.)

At any rate, because the media did not exist, when we relinked, the audio automatically relinked to the only audio that did exist, the 16 bit proxy audio.

I used the media tool to delete all remnants of proxy media, and re batch imported the media that did not create 24 bit depth media in the first place. This time it did. I assume the answer to my question is BEFORE I batch import any high res media, make sure I find a way to quarantine my proxy media to a different drive or delete it completely, and THEN batch import my high quality video.

Fingers crossed this works in the future.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller