Latest post Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:32 PM by mvegas. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:38 PM

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 12 2009
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 50
    • Points 735

Meridien card not found

I have been running MC 12.1.5 on a G4 Mac with OS 10.2.6 and Meridien i/o + 888 hardware.  I understand that this software is compatible with OS 10.4 (though not later operating systems) and installed 10.4.11 to get some additional features. However, I now find that MC will not boot. Instead I get an error message telling me the Meridien card cannot be found. Can anyone suggest what is happening? Is this a case of installing new drivers and if so where can these be obtained.  

21" Imac (2015) running Mac OS 14.4.4 Intel I5 3.1ghz processor. 16G RAM. Thunderbolt to AJA i/o XT. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 17 2010 9:48 PM In reply to

Re: Meridien card not found

MC v12.1.x Meridien is not compatible with OSX 10.4.  10.2.6 is the max.  Even 10.2.8 can break the system.  There are no newer drivers.

From the v12.x Release Notes:

This release requires Mac OS X v10.2.6. You can download a Mac OS X software updater from Apple’s Web site:
    www.apple.com

To locate an updater, search for 10.2.6 on Apple’s Support Web page.

This release does not support any Mac OS versions higher than 10.2.6.

Just curious, where did you read/hear that 10.4 was qualified?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:02 PM In reply to

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 50
    • Points 735

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have now reverted back to the original 10.2.6, but am getting the same 'Meridien Processor Board Not Found - line: 3197" error

Avid will still not boot, have double-checked cables and connections, all seem fine, as before.

What else is there to try ?

21" Imac (2015) running Mac OS 14.4.4 Intel I5 3.1ghz processor. 16G RAM. Thunderbolt to AJA i/o XT. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:05 PM In reply to

"... What else is there to try ..."

Reseating all of the Avid boards, and their connecting ribbon cables.  Next try swapping boards with a known good system.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:15 PM In reply to

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 50
    • Points 735

Thanks Randall. I note that you mention a later OS can "break" the system. Does this mean it could damage hardware?

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:31 PM In reply to

"... Does this mean it could damage hardware? ..."

No, it just stops it from working properly.  Reverting to the qualified OS "should" fix it.  However, it is recommended to do a "clean install" of the OS any time you change versions.

(wwld)

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 50
    • Points 735

Latest update.  Re-seated all cards, re-checked all cable connections, repaired permissions, zapped PRAM ... no change.

Apple System Profiler CAN see the card, and is giving it a PCI ID, although 10.2 doesn't recognise the type of card.

Any other ideas ?

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 2:02 AM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

as randall suggested: clean install of os10.2.6 and new install of mc-software.

backup your projects, users etc. first.

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 10:04 AM In reply to

• Graeme Bowd
    • Not Ranked
    • St Albans, UK
    • Posts 50
    • Points 735

Meridien card not found

Thanks Che. I've managed to solve the problem and this is how. I removed the Meridien card, powered up the Mac, and shut it down again. Then I replaced the card and powered up again. All was fine. This procedure was suggested by an engineer at a company which hires out Avid systems. Apparently it prompts the machine to treat the card as new hardware and reinitialise accordingly. I'd recommend it to anyone who finds themself in this situation.

I guess the moral here is that if you have a machine that's working well, leave well alone!  

• Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:32 PM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

If it ain't broke don't fix.  MC 12.x was released prior to 2003.  The prevailing Mac OS at that time was Jaguar OS 10.2. OS 10.2.4 and 10.2.6 were patch releases of Jaguar released by Apple.  The supported CPUs were the G4 533 through the G4 1.2.5.  When Avid releases a new version of the software it is tested and supported up to the prevailing OS available at that time.  Supported CPU and OS are posted to the readme notes which are available for download from the download center and the knowledgebase.  Rarely, if ever, once a version of MC is released as its Gold version, will engineering revisit the software to qualify a newer OS.  Going forward, unless specifically posted on the Avid website, you are in uncharted waters should you try to install a newer OS with an existing build.

HTH

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller