Latest post Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:12 AM by monkeyberry. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:02 AM

• Marine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 1 2010
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Tip on saving memory

I just learned something that I thought others might find useful. Who knows maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this. I do a lot of my own effects and finishing work and a lot of the projects I do are pretty heavy on effects, using up to 24 layers of video. So as can be imagined, my sequences can be HUGE! Unfortunately, this also means I "run out" of memory far too often, pissing myself off and a few directors in the process.

Getting to the point - I recently found out from Avid that any blank layers (filler layers) below effects will multiple the memory usage of that particular effect. Meaning, every blank layer directly below an effect will basically mirror the effect above it (in memory).

Not totally believing that it would make that big of a difference, I tried it out. I took a sequence that was 130,000k and moved all of my graphic supers, titles, etc., down so they were sitting just above the picture. No extra filler layers between. (Note, I didn't remove any effects, just moved them). My sequence was now 70,000k. A huge difference. That same bin now opens faster and takes up less memory on opening.

I only wish I had learned this years ago.

Filed under:
  • Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:12 AM In reply to

• monkeyberry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • bushveld
    • Posts 612
    • Points 7,595

Re: Tip on saving memory

wow thanks. gonna try this 

have many avids all different, so cant post all specs... will rather say as required. KEEP THE DONGLE [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller