Latest post Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:28 PM by Larry Rubin. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:35 PM

Live Capture via BOB

Currently running MC4 (waiting for registration to take effect) on Windows XP Pro.

As a liquid pro user I was able to capture a live video signal from a video switcher and an audio mixer through the BOB Liquid pro interface. All the drivers have been installed and can already cpature through our MiniDV JVC deck.

How is this done in MC?

Refer me to another thread if you need to.

Thanks,

Chris

Windows XP Pro SP3 3.25 GB RAM 2TB & 500GB Pentium(R) D 3.0 GHZ Graphics: Nvidia Audio: Creative SB Audigy 4 Media Composer 5,Sorenson Squeeze, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: Live Capture via BOB

Yes Chris, this can be done, I do it regularly. Click the "toggle source" button on the capture tool (looks like a VTR) to disable the deck controls. A live signal can now be captured, with time of day time code generated according to the master clock. You don't necessarily need a BOB to do it, if you can loop it through a deck or camera with firewire output.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:28 AM In reply to

Larry,

Thanks for the response.  Just started using MC this week - NEWBIE!

My biggest concern is not being able to view the live capture in one of the viewers - haven't been able to figure that out.  In Liquid, I could control the inputs on the BOB for the live feed.  We currently use the Y/C input on the BOB along with the audio inputs.  Is there a "Control Panel" feature to control the inputs on the BOB?

Any suggestions for training guides/ books on MC?

Chris

Windows XP Pro SP3 3.25 GB RAM 2TB & 500GB Pentium(R) D 3.0 GHZ Graphics: Nvidia Audio: Creative SB Audigy 4 Media Composer 5,Sorenson Squeeze, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:38 AM In reply to

Chris:

If you mean you're trying to use your Liquid BOB with Media Composer, that will not work, unfortunately. You need to use one of Avid's BOBs for Media Composer, Mojo DX or Nitris DX. When capturing via Firewire, you will see the incoming image on the record monitor in the Composer window. If you have Mojo or Nitris (or an older Adrenaline box) you can monitor the signal an outboard high quality client monitor.

And as a newbie coming over from Liquid, you should dive right into Douglas Bruce's tutorial series designed specifically for Liquid users coming to Media Composer.

Link 1

Link 2

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 12:58 PM In reply to

Wow!  It seems that Avid would make the liquid Pro BOB work for those who were converted to MC because of the "End of Life" of Liquid.

Would this work.  I need to convert an svideo signal from my SE500 switcher to firewire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815255020

Thanks,

Chris

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:21 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Yes, it should work. However, if you have a DV camera, see if it does passthrough from its analog input to its firewire output. Many DV cameras do this and you could save the cost of the box.

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:28 PM In reply to

LewS:

Yes, it should work. However, if you have a DV camera, see if it does passthrough from its analog input to its firewire output. Many DV cameras do this and you could save the cost of the box.

And if you do it that way and you find you get video but no audio while in record passthrough, load a tape in the camera and roll record during the capture. You will likely need to make a settings change in the camera so it will see the external signal instead of the camera image.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller