Latest post Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:21 AM by luca.mg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 26 2010 9:38 PM

Error starting up Media composer 5 trial

Hello everyone, I get this error while loading my media composer5 trial:  

"Exception: Can't create a directory, as one of the folders in the path below has insufficient permissions., path:Avid Projects\"

Does anyone know what to do???

Thanks in advance

• Mon, Jul 26 2010 10:41 PM In reply to

Re: Error starting up Media composer 5 trial

You don't have sufficient privileges on your: C: drive.  What "exact" version of Windows are you running?  Are you logged in as the Administrator, or an account that has Administrator rights?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Jul 26 2010 10:42 PM In reply to

Hi,

It sounds like a permissions issue, which might be fixable, but we need to know what operating system you're using.  It'd also help to know your processor type & speed, amount of RAM, video card, and what version of Quicktime is installed on the system.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:09 PM In reply to

Hi Carl,

The same error is showing when I try to get started with Avid MC5.  I've checked an I am logged in as Administrator.

I don't have access to email where I'm lodging and I'm desperately trying to get Avid at home to finish editing an MA project. So..  if I try manage to find the answers to the what system?, etc (bearing in mind I am not pc techie literate at all) please would you help if you can?

Thanks,

Shan

• Fri, Sep 3 2010 6:16 PM In reply to

Again, what OS?  If it's any variety that includes "Home" in the name (which Avid does not support), this can be the cause of the permissions issue.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:09 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I misread what I needed and have Windows Vista Home Premium.  However, interestingly, by altering the permissions it looks like I can now access the programme.  Not sure how stable it will be though but this is what worked taken from some other kind person's advice:

Right click on the folder that doesn't have proper permissions (in this case Avid Media Composer 5),

select Properties, Security tab - click Add, In 'Select Users' window type Everyone

then click 'Check Names', click OK,

Go back to the folder, Properties, select 'Everyone', check 'Full Control' so it has a tick by it in the Permissions window, click OK.

Not sure whether to try get an upgrade to Win 7 Professional - only prob being am not pc literate and will have to run a clean install - I think - which makes me wonder how an upgrade will work if the base system has then been uninstalled.  Grr. why am I poor and running out of time..

• Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:21 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Shan, You did the right procedure to fix the permission issue, I didn't know it is possible in Vista home; now if it works leave it alone and edit.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller