Latest post Thu, Jul 22 2010 5:37 AM by mrmikster. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:45 AM

• Josh Petok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 40
    • Points 570

Avid and Filmlight?

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I do find this to be very interesting:

http://bit.ly/b8uh31

A software only version of baselight was revealed at NAB. "Baselight for grading, finishing quality of DS" Not sure where Symphony fits in that dynamic.

I'm not insinuating that the sky is falling or that Avid is killing off Symphony. I just found it very intriguing that Avid is promoting someone else's CC tool.

Symphony Nitris DX 6.5.4 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:39 AM In reply to

Re: Avid and Filmlight?

"... and the finishing quality of Avid DS.

Imagine the possibilities...

• Stay focused on creativity, as color grading is no longer tied to editorial
    • Color grade media in parallel with the edit, natively, in a collaborative environment
    • Gain efficiency through a streamlined editorial, grading, and finishing workflow"

Who writes this stuff? What do any of these bullet points actually mean? It's like one of those games where you ask for adjectives, nouns and verbs and place them into the blanks of an already written sentence.

Give me some professional nomenclature... "'finishing' and 'editorial.'" Give me a corporate buzz word... "efficiency." Another one... "collaborative."

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:58 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Well...MC has two letter, DS has two letters. Symphony has too many so they should just kill it. Stick out tongue

m

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:24 AM In reply to

• erik1185
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 1,055
    • Points 12,995

Looks like Symphony's done. It's no longer on the site...

http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Video-Editing-Professional

Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:25 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 12,075

I assume they'll be showing AAF roundtripping with shared media on Unity... I suspect that Color with Balls is in their sights here. Nucoda also do this to some extent.

I've always thought that Baselight should add decent editing tools (inc audio) and it could do the lot, no round-tripping needed. It's pretty cool on the Mac, but much much much better with the big control surface - like you used to see in a linear room. And still see in decent audio rooms.

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:05 AM In reply to

erik1185:

Looks like Symphony's done. It's no longer on the site...

http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Video-Editing-Professional

Symphony and DS always have a way of disappearing then reappearing on the site.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/media-composer

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:57 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Symphony and DS always have a way of disappearing then reappearing on the site

Something that Avid needs to deal with. This is sending wrong signals, if unintentional.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:06 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,730

Job ter Burg:
    Something that Avid needs to deal with. This is sending wrong signals, if unintentional.

Agreed!

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Jul 22 2010 5:37 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Avid is aware of it and are working on a fix.

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller