Latest post Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:43 AM by Geoffs. 135 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (136 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:40 PM

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

MC5 Bin Memory - Excessive?

Hi All,

We recently upgraded from OS 10.5.8 running MC 3.5 to MC5.0.1 running from OS 10.6.4.

Has anyone seen their bin memories increase rapidly? We'll have a sequence open and the memory % will rapidly skyrocket, within minutes. Running the same sequences in our previous setup, we would't see this issue. Its since upgrading the OS from a clean install and upgrading to Snow Leopard.

We will get another 4GB RAM on the editor's system, so he'll have 6GB - although its my understanding that Avid only recognises 3GB in this OS and RAM isn't related to bin memory.  

Is there a setting which affects this, which was perhaps reset when we performed a fresh install of 10.6.4? Or maybe its something which has changed in the way Avid's written between MC 3.5 and MC5? This occurs on both the Mac Pro dual Quad Core and Macbook Pro 2.4GHz.

Many thanks

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:53 PM In reply to

• Ivan Zuccon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 15 2010
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Points 535

Re: MC5 Bin Memory - Excessive?

I'm experiencing the same, I suppose it's a MC5 BUG. This MC version is the most unstable I ever seen.

I.

Symphony 6 - Mac Pro Nehalem - 16GB RAM - Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 3:17 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

Interesting.

Anyone else? I'm guessing if there's more than one system then Avid will recognise it as an issue and release a fix quickly?

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Does your memory indicator jump all over the place?

I posted an issue here.  Look for the post with the QT movie attached to it.

Curious if anyone is seeing similar behavior.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:10 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

Kevin, I have!

I haven't done much in the way of exporting since updating to 5.0.1, but if I remember correctly, it would happen with batch exports, usually. I don't know if its still present in 5.0.1.

Is there a way to tell Avid about these issues? I'm trying to log on here to report, but its not working:

http://na2.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=00D400000007GIT&portalId=060400000000a8t

but its something I've never tried and honestly don't know if I need a special support contract to contact Avid. I'd be surprised if I can't contact them directly.

Cheers!

Chris

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:17 PM In reply to

I can report it directly to Avid engineering, but usually we need to have a few users report an issue before they look at it.

No one responded to my earlier post, so I haven't yet.  But now I will look into it.

Do you see the memory indicator jump all over like mine as well?   Or did you also see that export error?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:22 PM In reply to

• Ivan Zuccon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 15 2010
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Points 535

I have this issue, the memory indicator that jump a lot with a error message too with two identical fresh systems. My machines have plenty of memory, no reason for this except that to  me this is another MC5 bug. 

And I have also problem exporting to Quick Time DV. I got an error or the exporting arrive to the 100% then the rainbow ball start rolling forever and ever and I have to force the quitting of Avid.

Do you thing the two issues are tied?

Symphony 6 - Mac Pro Nehalem - 16GB RAM - Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:32 PM In reply to

I escalated this...we'll see what they say.

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

I haven't noticed "all over the place", but it does rapidly rise, then sometimes drops by a few %. But perhaps I was working, it happened and I wasn't looking at the indicator at the time!

May or may not be related, but I just had a bunch of other errors in quick succession:

Exception caught in APlayer::Play - Exception: ADVAudioDev: Audio underrun on DV device

• Exception: ADVAudioDev: Audio underrun on DV device

Kevin, do you need me to reply to the other post you did as well, so Avid takes notice? If anyone else has this issue, then please do post.

Cheers guys.

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:33 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

Great, thank you very much, Kevin. Please let us know what you hear.

All the best,

Chris

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 6:14 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 12 2010
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

We've had the same problem ever since we upgraded from MC4 to MC 5.0. (not MC 5.1 - can't get that to work).

We have 6 gigs of Ram and bin memory starts out on a 45 minute timeline at around 35% and eventually rises to around 85% at which point it causes a "Main Thread" error and crashes MC. It's very random when and how quickly this occurs but memory % progresses upwards consistently. Not too much of a decrease if we close bins - maybe a couple of percentage points but then contiues to rise. We started with a fresh 5.0 upgrade on a fresh 10.6 OS install. We're running Mac OS 10.6.1 as per the requirments of Matrox since we're using the Matrox MX02 mini card.

Tim

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.8 ghz 6 GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 4870 MC 5.02 Matrox MX02 Mini Output Card running Software v. 1.92 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,400

The plot thickens... please don't say this is how it's meant to be. Its for this same reason that the "other" editing programme is useless as a longform tool...

I'm getting really worried now.

• Sat, Jul 24 2010 6:21 AM In reply to

• headitor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 32
    • Points 440

Dito on the memory issue. It's a killer for me. I have to quit MC and restart about 8 times a day!!!

This problem takes me back to a version in the 90's, i think it was nubus version 5.2. Same thing was happening, although then it got to a point where you couldn't even open the bin. If I remember rightly it was traced to imported jpegs or freeze frames nested inside fx. Then, the number of objects rocketed to over 100,000 and the system crashed.

This time the memory indicator is not showing an excessive number of objects, about 16,000. However, the used and available memory doesn't move from just over 2gb, although my system has 6gb. It's a busy timeline, 60 minutes duration, colour correction and some nested fx, including some freeze frames, Pan and scan stills, Boris light flares and grain, some audio automation. However, everything is rendered and this worked with no issues in the the pre-upgrade version.

System Mac Pro 2.66 with 6gb ram, OSX 10.6.3 and Mojo. Project 25i, media is DV420 omf.

Avid need to address this URGENTLY!!!!!

• Sat, Jul 24 2010 8:20 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

When you launch Media Composer hold the option key down as you choose to open your user and project, no bins will open with the application, then open only the bins you need at the time,check memory usage after opening bins one at a time you might narrow down what is causing the memory spike.  Other memory tips include one sequence per bin, rendered fx, titles, masters, audio clips etc

• Sat, Jul 24 2010 9:26 AM In reply to

• St.John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,280

I get the same problem onn my ma pro 2.8 HArpertown, with 5.0 & Nitris dx. The memory seems to increase through the day, and then I get the warning about closing bins; only way to get back down is a restart of mc5

St.John

Mac pro 3.33 GHz 6gb ram OSX 10.7.2 qt 7.6.4, MC 6.0.1 AJA IO express gtech drives firewire 800 connection Mac pro 2.8 6gb ram, OSx 10.7.2, MC 6.0.1... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 10 (136 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller