Latest post Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:53 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 17 2010 11:41 PM In reply to

• MC2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 19 2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 63
    • Points 695

Re: Best HDV Capture Setting

Thanks Bobby, Yet another thread on HDV capture or rather lack of capture. What a nightmare, especially since the same system running MC5.0.3 and FCP5 captures HDV perfectly well in FCP and Quicktime. Yes Avid captures SD fine from my Canon HV20 and my Sony J3 but what a pain in the *** it is to set up your own deck control patch using good old USB converters! Why no embedded Firewire deck control for "Pro" decks? Now that's just plain contrary.

If the new MC5 interface is meant to drag users away from FCP, as some have speculated, then these neophytes are sure in for a schock when they try to capture HDV...

Thanks for the tip on Canon XF, we're just deciding on either a Pany HXV202 P2 or a Canon XF305 (PAL). I always thought the Pany was the best choice despite the outrageous cost of P2 memory.

MC5.5.3, OS10.6.8,MacPro8Core 2.8Ghz,14GbRAM ;4Tb RAID;Mojo SDI;Io AJA,J3SDI, Matrox MiniMax [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 18 2010 2:15 AM In reply to

Yeah, the Canon XF series looks inviting too.

Does it really shoot Avid file? What's the workflow? With the price tag, how does it compete with Sony EX1?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:56 AM In reply to

• MC2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 19 2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 63
    • Points 695

I understand you need a Canon plug-in to import the CF card files into MC. P2 seems to have dedicated import templates already in MC.

MC5.5.3, OS10.6.8,MacPro8Core 2.8Ghz,14GbRAM ;4Tb RAID;Mojo SDI;Io AJA,J3SDI, Matrox MiniMax [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:51 AM In reply to

FWIU, the w/ the Canon plug-in, MC reads the Canon MXF directly, no transcoding. As for it compared to the EX-1. The EX-1 is about a stop better in low light and has better DOF control. The XF seems to make a superior image. But the camera is not cheap, at around $6k.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:06 AM In reply to

I appreciate your responses.

I started a post so we can continue the camera discussion -- Canon XF & Avid

Sorry, I just want to keep this thread as close to the title as possible. I still need to solve my current tape wrestling issue.

More power!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:07 AM In reply to

Hello. a little update here.

HDV batch capture is still failing in MC5.

--

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:40 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Kamusta Pare!

I'm having problems batch capturing as well with my Canon HV30! Getting the same error you are getting regarding the pre roll.. Looks like we aren't the only ones as well..

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 18 2010 1:03 AM In reply to

ayos Pare!

I tried HDVsplit (Windows only) and it simply worked! Gave me an idea for tape intermediates.

--

• Thu, Nov 18 2010 5:56 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

So you're telling me a freeware is able to this but a $2000+ professional software isn't it?

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 18 2010 6:26 AM In reply to

same question floating here. Is it possible for Avid to make friends with whoever wrote the app?

--

• Thu, Nov 18 2010 7:21 AM In reply to

Oh my friends, you speak too clearly, like someone who has not been indoctrinated into the whole "I don't want Avid wasting valuable resources on things like Firewire capture... Avid is a professional editing program not a capture program." (It's funny b/c now with the future clearly being tapeless workflows, I actually kind of agree w/ this sentiment, but obviously not a year ago or earlier.)

You are bringing flashbacks to me. I actually feel sick and want to barf right now thinking about the absurd arguments I have had trying to convince people that Firewire capture and format compatibility IS important. Excuse me while I go to the bathroom and implore a porcelain god to flush those memories down the toilet.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Aug 8 2011 1:18 AM In reply to

Hi.

I guess the hunt...or haunting continues>> Sony Z7U capture to Avid

any news regarding Avid's HDV support?

--

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:19 PM In reply to

I am by no means an Avid tech, but I can tell you Avid's HDV implementation on the capture side does require allot of time and patience to work with. It will complain and hang up about everything, from a hit on the tape, to zeros and ones not being in the exact color it likes: That is the tradeoff of using a professional program with a consumer format.  That is why HDV split is a better work around: it doesn't care about anything except if it can detect an HDV signal, and once you have captured the tape, you can import the file using the HDV (1440x1080@30/23.97 or 1280x720@60/30/23.97) templates to edit/export your footage, and everything is as right as rain.

HP xw9400 16Gb Ram Windows7 MC5.5 /Adrenaline / MC1000 /MC Xpress Pro /Liquid Pro [view my complete system specs]

Darien F. Rodriguez
    Director - DP - Editor - VFX - Colorist - Sound Engineer
    (310) 447-4121 - Cell
    www.linkedin.com/pub/darien-rodriguez/2a/6ab/93b/ - LinkedIn Profile http://be.net/surrealpictures - Portfolio

• Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:53 AM In reply to

Yup! Definitely, HDV SPLIT is the hero.

--

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller