Latest post Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:53 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:05 AM

Best HDV Capture Setting

Hello,

I need help in batch capturing HDV! What is the best/tested settings with the highest success rate for batch capturing HDV clips? I'm going through this fragile process again for this particular project.

Currently, I have like a 75% succes on tape 1 because of some errors (see screen shot). painful thing really is the need to baby sit the batch capture process (defeats the whole idea)!

Project: HDV 1080i (NTSC)

Footage: 1080i (cineframe 30 look), shot with a Sony Z1. Using Z1 & Z7 camera as playback device.

Thanks.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 2:17 AM In reply to

Re: Best HDV Capture Setting

(I respectfully bump)

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:39 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

It actually took me a moment to realise there WAS some form of question in there Smile

tikboy:
    Please help me with the best/tested settings with the highest success rate (batch captured clips).

Almost, sadly, the settings are locked - you can really only capture in the format you shot in.. it's not like you can capture 1080i in an SD DV (I know you can downconvert the camera to SD DV, but it seems you want to work in HD).

Have you tried 'skipping' the clip and seeing if the problem persists? What happens if you perform a standard capture of the clip by manually entering the in and out points? What is the pre-roll set to on the capture setting - perhaps it needs extending? Could there be a, albeit, minor timecode glitch on the tape at that point? Even a frame jump can have Avid spitting you an error.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:36 AM In reply to

Thanks solopost.

Yes, I would skip clips, tried different pre-rolls... tape TC is clean. sometimes doing a re-batch works on some clips.

Well, I gues manually capturing will be the only choice for the stray clips in the batch (...arghhh...HDV!)

any other ideas?

--

• Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:17 AM In reply to

ok, i'm pulling my hair now.

It's becoming worse -- "drop/nonDrop frame.." errors, then "Exception:audio/video..."

I have 5 more tapes to capture...haven't started cutting yet....need to deliver by Friday!

pleeeeaaase!

--

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:57 AM In reply to

Hi,

Sorry for being stubborn. Any good news for an HDV batch capture nightmare?

--

• Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:59 PM In reply to

• MichaelPaine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 5 2007
    • Alta, Finnmark, Norway
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,005

How are your Capture settings configured?

Be sure to check 'Capture across timecode breaks', and uncheck 'Stop capture if a bad frame is detected'.

Also, as mentioned above, experiment with custom preroll lengths.

If none of this helps, the error might be caused by bad tape stock. My students definitely have more problems when shooting HDV on cheap Maxell tapes for trial projects, than they have when using more expensive Panasonic Pro tapes for serious projects.

Bear in mind that the Avid is notoriously pedantic. But that's a good thing. This isn't a prosumer app.

#1: Four HP xw4300, 3GB RAM - 3,6 GHz Dual-Core, Windows XP Pro, Media Composer 3.1.3.13 w/Mojo DNA, QuickTime 7.5.5, NVIDIA Quadro FX1400 - 128MB - driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:08 AM In reply to

Thanks MichaelPaine!

I will check on my settings again on Monday. We are using the same Sony miniDV tapes we've been using for DV.

--

• Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:05 AM In reply to

HI,

It's Monday here.

My settings are fine. I just cannot make batch capture work so I just crash captured (no TC!) it again.

I'm still hoping for a betterway.

Thanks.

--

• Fri, Aug 13 2010 9:16 AM In reply to

• MichaelPaine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 5 2007
    • Alta, Finnmark, Norway
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,005

You've unchecked 'Ignore Detected Media Read Errors' as well?

Ideally not an option you want to turn off, but it will probably help you batch.

#1: Four HP xw4300, 3GB RAM - 3,6 GHz Dual-Core, Windows XP Pro, Media Composer 3.1.3.13 w/Mojo DNA, QuickTime 7.5.5, NVIDIA Quadro FX1400 - 128MB - driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 13 2010 12:06 PM In reply to

• davidjdb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 13 2010
    • Posts 60
    • Points 770

Check out the "deck weirdness" thread (more appropriately, later on in the thread when it settles down to just the HDV capturing issue) and then check your console window to see if it is the same error.  As a quick check, disable the capturing of Audio (just deselect the A1 A2 buttons in the capture tool) and see if that makes any difference.

• Fri, Aug 13 2010 6:49 PM In reply to

The sad truth is that HDV capture in MC is a crap shoot.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/70611.aspx

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Aug 14 2010 2:32 AM In reply to

Aw, really sad!

That makes me think of really considering our future acquisition format. But I still have to deal with some dozen HDV tapes we've shot.

I'm actually looking at the NXCAM. What would you sggest as the next better-than-HDV format?

Thanks!

--

• Sat, Aug 14 2010 9:06 AM In reply to

I have not used the new Canon XF's, but I imagine they work well w/ Avid. Also, P2 and XDCAM (EX) are rock solid.

I don't know what Avid's workflow is w/ NXCAM, but I do know NXCAM is AVCHD, which some people considered kind of bear to edit.

This could be totally wrong, but it feels like camera firewire capture was an add-on in Avid. It seems to me that Avid likes professional decks.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 4:04 AM In reply to

Thanks. Firewire works great back in the DV age. I also heard a good news that MC5 supports AVCHD.

--

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller