Latest post Fri, Jul 16 2010 4:57 PM by BobRusso. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:32 PM

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Export Quicktime w HD Closed Captions

I am looking for a way to verify HD closed captions from an exported quicktime file from the Avid. Since Symphony 5 doesn't have the ability to decode captions from the data track internally I was hoping there is a way to export a same as source quicktime file and have quicktime player decode the captions for verification. Quicktime player is supposed to be able to decode CEA 608/708 captions but so far I am unable to export a QT file from Avid that shows the HD closed captions when played in QT.

Does Avid strip off the VANC data upon export or is there a special export setting that I have missed? 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Jul 16 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Export Quicktime w HD Closed Captions

I know VLC can display Closed Caption from a QT File, I'm not sure QT Player can do this. I wouldn't say that Media Composer "stips off" the closed caption as there's no place for it to technically place the SMPTE 436M data.

The only way I know to do what you're asking is to export an XDCAM HD OP1a MXF file and play that file in the CPC Player.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jul 16 2010 4:49 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Thanks for the reply Bob. Unfortunately, my scopes and monitors don't support the cc decoding so I am looking for another software way to verify captions.

My thought was to lay off timeline sequence w Data track to HDCAM tape and then recapture from tape, then export file to QT (or CPC) to verify. When I capture would it be better to recapture in Legacy mode? Maybe it helps to have the CC embeded into the DNxHD file than a separate data track?

I will download CPC free trial to see if it will decode either the XDCAM you mentioned or a Quicktime. The Quicktime player has a "show closed captions" option in the view menu so it is supposed to be able to do this. I will keep experimenting and report back if I figure out how to do this. Thanks.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Jul 16 2010 4:57 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

If you have a Data Track with the Closed Caption, exporting an OP1a MXF file will work without question. I don't know if the free version will do this or not. This will only work with the Data Track and not the using the Legacy Mode.

There's no work flow that I know of with QT; the information is not added to a QT File. Its only added to a MXF file that supports this this type of MetaData.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller