Latest post Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:37 AM by camoscato. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 12 2010 6:22 AM

• tigerpie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 12 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

volume normalizing on avid liquid

Hello,

I have just started doing some IT work for a smallish company and have been asked to help out on a problem they are having with Avid Liquid Version 7. It could be a user issue as they themselves have only just started using Avid Liquid to do this, if it is a problem with the process they are using and they are not using the correct software or hardware then they would be willing to look into purchasing the correct gear.

What they are doing:

Dumping music video clips into Avid from DVC Pro Tapes, SVHS and DVD Compiles then editing and adding there companies logo and pushing up the volume levels to the desired level. They then export the video clips in the DivX file format.

The Problem:

The video clips do not have the same volume levels.

The guy editing the clips uses his "ears" to try and get the volume levels the same, but this of course leads to human error, and inconsistencies.

Some things to note

• From speaking to the editor, the volume levels of tracks are at differrent levels when dumped into Liquid. He uses a Eurorack UB1204FX-Pro that he adjusts the sound levels on as they are dumped into Avid Liquid to try and get the same volume levels. 
    • They are pushing the volume up so much, that it seems Avid Liquid does not give them a "figure" as to how loud it is. (Thats my completely non technical way of explaining it)
    • After they have exported the clip and look at it through Cool Edit Pro, the levels are the highest they can go before it would clip. Although the tracks themselves do not actually clip.

Also, the clips are done one at a time, which is of course slow and laborious, so we are wondering if there is a way in which we can line up a few hours worth and use a script or something so the clips can be run as a batch over night and use the same settings

Hopefully i have explained all of the above sufficiently, I am not to shabby when it comes to computers in general, and the editor isn't to bad at doing what he is doing, but neither of us are an "expert" in our jobs and as such we are finding it difficult to work out exactly what needs to be done to get it right and also how to word our questions so a bit of patience would be appreciated.

• Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:37 AM In reply to

Re: volume normalizing on avid liquid

Hi,

This forum is for Liquid users who have moved to Media Composer.

The forum for Liquid questions is here.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller