Latest post Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:08 AM by hillaryknox. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 26 2010 12:56 AM

clip gain vs (& in combination with) normalize

Can someone concisely explain how clip gain & the normalization filter work with (or against) each other?

The reason I ask is that (primarily in FCP & but also in other DAWs) I am used to being able to normalize a clip and then set the "clip gain" equivalent independently, without it affecting anything other than the clip gain. In MC 5, whenever I alter the clip gain after applying a normalize filter, it wants me to re-render the clip (!?!?!?!), which is something that I am not used to having to do.

Is this just a fact of life with audio in MC? Should I just be doing everything with Auto Gain instead?

Basiaclly I'm just trying to nail down the facility that is the equivalent of using the Pen Tool in FCP to create & adjust audio keyframes. I think between using Auto Gain, keyframes, and the Smart keyframe tool, I've pretty much got a handle on it, I just don't know if there is an easier/better way to deal with it. (I don't understand why the Smart keyframe tool adjusts all audio keyframes by the same amount both before & after the keyframe directly under the cursor...that's another annoyance that I'm trying to solve).

Thanks!

• Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:04 AM In reply to

Re: clip gain vs (& in combination with) normalize

MC treats things in a specific order. First there is Clip level. The AudioSuite effect happens on top of that. EQ on top of that. AutoGain on top of that. So if you change the clip level, you are changing whatever is being sent into the AudioSuite effect. And when the input changes, the result usually changes, so it requires a render.

Automation Gain happens last in the chain, so yes, you can ride/change/keyframe AutoGain levels, without having to rerender your AS effects.

However, I'd tend to question using Normalize and clip levels together too much, as one changes the level, as does the other. Normalize simply raises the entire clip level so that the loudest peak is at a certain level (max 0dBfs). If you _raise_ the clip level after that, then render the Normalize, you're at the same level again. If you Normalize, then lower the clip level, then rerender the Normalize, you're still at the same level as well.If you Normalize, then raise the level in AutoGain, you'll be clipping your peaks. If you Normalize then lower the AutoGain, you basically have first boosted the level too much, then reduce it again.

Also consider that MC5 gives you RTAS these days. Meaning that you could add a brickwall limiter to your clips. Not the same thing as normalize, but it may offer you some more flexibility. I recommend the L2007 Mastering Limiter by Massey Plugins. Works with Avids.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:08 AM In reply to

Re: clip gain vs (& in combination with) normalize

Ah ha! Totally didn't know that about clip gain. It all makes sense now.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller