Latest post Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:43 PM by Kevin Klimek. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 22 2010 4:47 AM

• Edgar Andres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Render and Memory Issues for MC5 working with RED

Hey, I'm edgar an Assistant editor on a project. So, our editor is working with RED footage on a 2.53 Quad Core Mac Pro with MC5 installed and we are using the AMA function to ingest RED footage into Avid, and we have over 20 hours of footage with more stuff on the way, and as he's editing as we speak. He notices that the memory heavily rises from 20%-70% within an hour or so. Is that normal? BTW to explain more thoroughly, we ingested the Full 4K footage through AMA, is that the reason our memory is soooo high. 

Plus I would like to add that he tried putting a dissolve and wanted to see what it looks like, and for a 2 frame dissolve it took 1-2 minutes to render. Now that's a little odd.

Another thing I'd like to inform you. We are using the 30 day trial version. Will all these problems be fixed if we get the full version?

Thanks!

Edgar

MacPro /OS 10.6.x/2.66Hz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processor/10GB RAM/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, PCI Express 2.0, one Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:36 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: Render and Memory Issues for MC5 working with RED

To have more than 20 hours of Full Red 4K footage linked through ama at the same time would give any system headache I believe, work with small bits at the time and consolidate to a DNxHD codec or lighter whilst you proceed through the editing, you can do a new relink to the full 4K media once the project is ready for going online.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jun 24 2010 6:52 PM In reply to

• Edgar Andres
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

I fully understand that where taxing the machine heavy. Using AMA has saved us days worth of time where as before we had to go through red rushes workflow then bring that into the avid system. That was not an option this time around so we chose to go with AMA. 

Now is that the reason why my memory in my project sky rockets when i open a bin. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

MacPro /OS 10.6.x/2.66Hz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processor/10GB RAM/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, PCI Express 2.0, one Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 24 2010 7:30 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

The first steps are great using ama, in the continued work I would recommend to work in small pieces using rough cuts and consolidate to some lighter codec

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

Edgar,

There won't be any performance improvements between the trial version and the purchased version...what you see is what you get.

I would suggest that the system is a little under-powered (4 core vs. 8 core) to handle that much RED.  I also would try using draft (yellow) mode.

But I agree with others.  In this case, AMA is a great way to get all of the footage in quickly, but should not be used for regular editing.  You should pull selects if you can and then set up a transcode at the end of the day.  the system will be much more robust, and you will have cut your import time considerably.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:37 PM In reply to

• Edgar Andres
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Heres what where doing with the whole project, 

1. We bring in the RED footage though AMA

2 Organize the footage and subgroup

3. Manually sync the Red footage with the audio and make a clip from the two

4. Then we cut from that and make our sequence

Does this still effects the overall memory with in the program to sky rocket?

• Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:43 PM In reply to

Unless you consolidate/trasncode to a DNxHD resoution, you are still using AMA.  I actually would think (but I don't know for sure) that syncing and grouping the footage would make it even more processor intensive, since it is now looking to play the audio and video from different places from the same time.

You'll still find the best performance with transcoding.  But at least you can pick the takes you need to transcode.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller