Latest post Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:49 AM by BonDia. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 16 2010 4:47 AM

• mxdan316
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Posts 72
    • Points 870

MC 5.0 Relink transcoded files to AMA native files

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for answers everywhere, but couldn't find any...

I've made some tests before beginning a project with H264 canon 7d footage.

I used the AMA to import it all.

Since it's lagging a bit when I play it on source monitor or in sequence, now matter if my video quality is green or yellow(By the way I hope this will be fixed in the next avid mc5 update... How long can it take before the new version with fixed bugs to be released? ) , I transcode files to offline footage like 20:1 MXF.

So I did that.

It creates ***.new master clips under the 20:1 resolution.

Then I tried to relink those files to the native H264 files (AMA).

I've been trying over and over again and couldn't find a way to make it work. I choose the file, right click, relink, checked "All available drives"," master clips", "relink only to media from the current projects", "allow relinking of imported/AMA clips by source File name", "Match case when comparing tape and(...)"

Relink to any HD video format

method: highest quality.

When I do OK, it show a progress bar with the mention "relinking...", but at the end, the clip is still not relinked. What's weird, is that it doesn't say :" No clips were relinked(...)".

I've been trying different parameters, resolutions, hard drives and it still doesn't relink. I've also tried that with a sequence, no good.

Any help?

Thanks!

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Jun 16 2010 5:35 AM In reply to

• AlanS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Posts 56
    • Points 790
    • Avid EAC Moderator
      Avid Employee

Re: MC 5.0 Relink transcoded files to AMA native files

You should be able to relink sequences containing the .new clips by doing the following:

Open the bins containing the original AMA Files

Select ALL of the AMA clips you wish to relink to in each bin

Right click on the sequence and choose "Relink..."

In the dialog click the radio button labeled "Selected items in ALL open bins"

You do NOT have to select the checkbox labeled "Allow relinking on Imported/AMA clips by Source File Name".  That check box is not needed for clips that have been consolidated, transcoded, or batch imported.

If the "Create new sequence" checkbox is selected you will get a new sequence with ".Relinked" tacked on.  Load that sequence and see if the relink was successful.

Let us know what happened.

• Wed, Jun 16 2010 6:51 AM In reply to

• mxdan316
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 72
    • Points 870

Ok it works,

Is it normal that my way isn't working? Is it the official way to relink to AMA?

Is it an issue with the version that will be fixed in the next mc5 version?

Thanks a lot!

• Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:26 AM In reply to

• Andy_DV
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Doesn't seem to me like an issue to be fixed...seems like a perfect way to relink to transcoded clips. This worked great in reverse, too - started a cut by linking to AMA, then transcoded the clips and relinked to the new transcodes so that we could successfully export an AAF for audio. 

With our workflow, staying in AMA for finishing isn't an option. It's a great way to get up and running, but a huge pain when it comes time for exporting to other apps and final project consolidation/archiving.

While Avid transcodes relink fine, anyone know how well transcodes in other apps relink to AMA clips? Compressor? MetaFuze? Squeeze? etc. What's the best approach—linking with filename, timecode, duration? I've also heard that "forcing" a tape name to AMA clips is useful metadata to have in the clip, aiding in relinking down the line, any comment on that?

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:05 AM In reply to

• gajit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 9 2010
    • Posts 18
    • Points 225

This tip was terrific...I was struggling as well.  I love this workflow.  I build the project on a pentium 4...not enough horsepower for hd ama.  then I loaded it onto my macbookpro and used the hd ama footage...awesome!!

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:44 AM In reply to

• Codec Moment
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 21 2007
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 353
    • Points 4,630

Avid needs to see the original AMA clips somewhere in an open bin. Since the media isn't stored in the usual locations or databased in the same way, it won't know to look in those locations otherwise. I am curious why it doesn't store the file path of the origina AMA media when it transcodes and then looks there first, but this isn't bad either and has worked well for me so far.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Avid Media Composer v6.0.1 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]

I trust orange juice more than I trust most people.

• Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:45 PM In reply to

I have tried all the suggestions in this post, yet still seem to be unable to relink back to the original AMA files. 

This is my workflow thus far:

R3D transcoded in MC5 to DNxHD36 1080/24p (could this be the issue since source footage is 23.976?) - when I transcoded the window popped up saying if I want to be able to relink back to AMA I need to "convert," so I clicked CONVERT.  (the other options were SKIP and CANCEL.)

Create sequence using DNxHD footage.  Pull DNxHD clips offline via moving MXF from (1) directory.

Files offline. 

Highlight all AMA clips.  Right click sequence > Relink > I've tried every option on and off, but nothing relinks.  Now, I can link back to the AMA if I click on the DNxHD clip, right click, and select "Link to AMA" but that doesn't affect the sequence.  Also, "Relink to AMA" is greyed out. 

Help?

• Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:05 PM In reply to

• Andy_DV
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Yes, the framerate difference is probably the issue.

If you read the "convert" dialog warning again, choosing to convert does not give you the option to relink or batch. The only way is to be sure to do all of your transcoding in a separate project that is formatted to the timebase of your source clips. If you get that convert dialog, bail out!!

You may need to bite the AMA bullet and do a manual over-cut.

• Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:43 PM In reply to

YES!  I can't believe it took me 4 hours to figure out my project settings were wrong.  Luckilly, I did this before transcoding all my footage and editing.  (see, I'm smart afterall).

Thank you so so so much!  sometimes it just takes a little poke to realize your mistake.

Transcode > Edit > Relink -- it all works now.  BAM

• Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:29 PM In reply to

AlanS:

You should be able to relink sequences containing the .new clips by doing the following:

You do NOT have to select the checkbox labeled "Allow relinking on Imported/AMA clips by Source File Name".  That check box is not needed for clips that have been consolidated, transcoded, or batch imported.

If the "Create new sequence" checkbox is selected you will get a new sequence with ".Relinked" tacked on.  Load that sequence and see if the relink was successful.

Let us know what happened.

Very useful. Thank you!

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 10:23 PM In reply to

Hmm. For some reason the "Selected items in ALL open bins" option will not let me select it. Anyone have a reason as to why?

• Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

• mikey52
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

So here's my scenario;

Camera original is XDCAM EX - Files then copied to an external hard drive.

External Hard drive used in Sony XDCAM Browser to convert to MXF to be then be transcoded on Avid Media Drive as DNxHD 145 in Avid. Project Completed.

The copied Camera original XDCAM EX files on external hard drive now archived to Optical Disc in orginal EX file format. (User DATA folder on Optical Disc.)

Tried the prescribed work flow for relinking Sequence file to no avail. Any thoughts?

• Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:18 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,221
    • Points 14,620

AlanS:

If the "Create new sequence" checkbox is selected you will get a new sequence with ".Relinked" tacked on.

Giving offline workflow a new try....no success...Then I just found this so obvious detail that it is not listed in the steps above: the sequence may not reside in the same bin as the source AMA clips....Yes, in every well-structured workflow, sequences and clips are never mixed in the same bin, but for a quick-and-dirty test... if the sequence and the AMA clips do coexist in the same bin, the above steps result in "No clips were relinked..etc." (presumably b/c right-clicking on the sequence item DESELECTS the selected AMA clips in the same bin)

Maybe worth mentioning for those absent-minded like me Stick out tongue

MC 2018.12.5 (Symphony option)/BCC2019 12.0.4/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (11.2); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:49 AM In reply to

• BonDia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 29 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Hi everybody!

I have a problem... 

I have a estereo project, from panasonic AG3d1a. I "linked to AMA files" to original media (codec H264/.MTS).

My mediacomposer v6.0.1 d'ont run fine with two streams h264, so I try to "transcode" all clips and then "relink" DNxHD files to masterclips (firstly h264).

My fisrt test worked well, but when I'm trying do whole from a Bin, "transcode" crashes!!!  "estimated time" some clips  to transcode increase to "infinite"... and never finish.. 

I usually don't work with avid, maybe i do something wrong. 

I try the ways explained in this post. I only can relink sequences (with DNxHD codec), but only relink "left eye", no both. So it's ***!

Can you tell me the right way? I think may way is right, because in may test works good, I' can't fint out the problem...

Thanks!! 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller