Latest post Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:03 PM by Chris. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 27 2010 11:19 AM

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 24 2010
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Intermittent audio capture from pc direct fire-wire connection

Hi Media Composer forum,

I'm considering the MC upgrade due to the liquid end of life announcement and currently running the trail version to check that there will be no problems in the 'transition'.

I have tried and test the interface over the past month and have been pleased with the result. How-ever I am experiencing difficulty when using the capture tool. I am running a fire-wire direct to my PC. Liquid Pro has the added advantage of the BOB which is not compatible with MC. I have never had a problem with capturing through the liquid pro system and it will recognize both of my cameras. How ever due to the expense of the additional compatible hardware for MC the Mojo is not a realistic answer for straight forward SD capture. There are two problems with the capture tool at present:

1) The MC capture tool will not recognize one of my Camera’s (deck). It is a Sony mini DV DCR-TRV 8U which is quite old now but is fire-wire compatible and has a built in VTR which has always worked with the Liquid Pro system. 

2) The capture tool will recognize my other camera (deck) but although the image is OK the audio is very intermittent. A good way of describing the result is as though the audio drops frames on a regular basis - aprox. once every 5 seconds. The camera is a mini DV JVC GY-DV 500E which also has a built in VTR and has always worked well with Liquid pro.

Unfortunately the material which is imported is useless as more often than not I will be taking the audio track directly from the mini dv. I managed to get around the problem by capturing the whole tape of rushes through liquid and then exporting a QuickTime file and re-importing to MC. Using MC made logging the rushes from the QuickTime relatively painless but the process was totally impractical, especially as I find Media management a key advantage with the Avid systems.

I would expect the capture tool to work effortlessly with either of the cameras and wonder if there is something I am missing? I can not consider purchasing the upgrade until I know these issues will not cause any problem in my work flow or that I will not loose any vital functionality through the upgrade. 

Your advice and assistance would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks

Chris   

P.S. one other concern is the loss of DivX from the export file types in MC. I have used DivX as part of my work flow in Liquid and would not like loose the capability of utilizing its compatibility. I have been told that Sorenson Squeeze included in the upgrade package would allow DivX encoding how-ever there is no DivX file types in the trail version. Is there any answer to this problem? - Other that using third party software.

XFX nForce 680i, Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2.75 GB RAM NVIDIA GeFroce 7600 GT - expert vision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 27 2010 11:31 AM In reply to

Re: Intermittent audio capture from pc direct fire-wire connection

Hi,

welcome here. Please fill out your user profile with your detailed system specs (hardware and software, versions, driver versions, etc.).

We need to know what you are using before we can begin solving the problem.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Thu, May 27 2010 11:58 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Thanks - Let me know if there is anything I have left out.

XFX nForce 680i, Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2.75 GB RAM NVIDIA GeFroce 7600 GT - expert vision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 27 2010 12:02 PM In reply to

Hi there Chris.

I have managed to capture by SD at many cameras even strictly amateurish.

The problems if there are some is by HDV cameras. SD works always.

Even for the HDV's at SD format. I am sure there is something you don't do exactly right.

Now for the DivX thing, MC isn't a program for that purposes at all.

Sorenson can do this. Or something else.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:04 PM In reply to

You should also mention your software versions/driver versions etc. of video and audio card.

That said I think your (onboard) audio card is giving your the headache. Realtek is not a product that is liked by Avid software. Do a search on these forums and you will see you are not the only one with problems. You mighht try a soundblaster card. They are cheap, and do work with avid.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:12 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Thanks,

I have spent some time searching these forums but have not found anything relating to this issue specifically although I have seen many similar issues especially with HDV capture as mentioned. I will update the system specs on my profile, and take a look at the SoundBlaster cards or similar. The Realtek card never had a problem with Liquid I wonder why MC doesn't like it.

Thanks

Chris

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Chris, looking at your specs, I see an external fw disc, I suppose you use that one for media.

It might have worked with Liquid using the usbcoonected pro bob for capturing but I don´t think that it will work with Media Composer as you will get 2 different fw units connected to your system you might get bus errors.

edited..

The Realtek card never had a problem with Liquid I wonder why MC doesn't like it.

And this comment wasn´t relevant if you are looking for help, besides, we have always, during all the years, recommended external asio2 compliant audio card to be used with Liquid

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Hi,

I have seen that having multiple fire-wire devices can cause capture problems so I have tried capture with-out the data storage unit being connected but it made no difference. I have tried capturing to the external drive and there is not much difference to capturing to the internal hard drive but I did notice that importing from or rendering to the external drive can cause a hic-up in the MC system, which is a shame as I have been using it for media storage, in particular rendering and capture which has worked very well with Liquid. There is an option to use USB 2 I will test it to see if that will solve the issue. It would be great if any-one knows a way around so I can use it for the same functions if I do upgrade.

Chris

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:30 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

I have tried capture with-out the data storage unit being connected but it made no difference

If that was to your bootdrive, it would explain why you still are having probs.

You should be able to use your external fw connected drive with no cam connected I believe, for internal media storage, install 2 new discs if possible and configure them to a RAID 0

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 27 2010 12:34 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

I have tried the external storage, the boot drive, and the other internal hard drive unfortunately the problem was common to all three.

• Thu, May 27 2010 1:31 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Ok, so it is just to wait for your installation of an external audiocard to see if things work better

Tomas 

• Thu, May 27 2010 2:09 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Ok so I have updated the system specs, and will look into a new sound card. Thanks for your help I will keep you posted if I can go ahead with the upgrade.

''The Realtek card never had a problem with Liquid I wonder why MC doesn't like it.'

'And this comment wasn’t relevant if you are looking for help''

I forgot to add the question mark at the end of the sentence, but that was a genuine question in regard to the upgrade. I shouldn't compare the two products although I do need to be sure the upgrade is worth the extra expense and additional system alterations before I go ahead with the purchase under those circumstances it's hard not to. I will check Avid for the certified audio cards for MC as well as the sound blaster cards before I make any decisions.

Thanks again

Chris  

• Thu, May 27 2010 2:22 PM In reply to

Chris:
    I have seen that having multiple fire-wire devices can cause capture problems

If you have multiple firewire devices, they must each be on their own separate bus. Firewire does not work and play well in a "hub" type environment.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, May 27 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Thanks Larry. That’s no problem I can keep each fire-wire connection on a separate bus. Thanks for the useful information.

• Fri, Jun 18 2010 5:44 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • UK England Kent
    • Posts 14
    • Points 160

Hi,

I have a Soundblaster asio2 compliant audio card on order and hope that it will solve the audio problem :). I will let you know when I have it installed.

In the meantime I have another annoying problem I thought you may be able to help me with. I have just re-installed my OS so that MC can work on a clean file structure. Since reinstalling Media Composer I receive the error message below from Microsoft on exiting the program.

Avid Editor has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It's not really an inconvenience as I am already exiting the application and all the data seems to be saved but it is a little disconcerting.

If you have any ideas on how to fix the problem I would be grateful.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller