Latest post Fri, Apr 30 2010 3:46 PM by BLKDOG. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:21 PM

• rik6110
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 29 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Support for universities and teachers in germany

Dear AVID Marketing Team,

we are using 6 AVID Mojo, 1 Adrenaline, and 8 Digi002 in our university for teaching our students video and audio postproduction for more than 5 years. Why is the support of the universities with educatonal prices and teaching material for AVID products like Media Composer and especially for ProToolsLE so poor?

We are teaching the future clients of your products!

Isn´t it an interesting market for your company?

Looking forward to your answer!

Rik

• Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:27 PM In reply to

Re: Support for universities and teachers in germany

Rik:

I have to disagree with you. Avid has made it's Media Composer software available to Educational institutions for a small fraction of it's retail value - $295.00. The educational version is identical to the commerical version of MC, without the additional 3rd party plug-in bundle.  And that includes 4 YEARS of FREE UPGRADES, and a free 30 day trial download. I would hardly define that as "poor support". The MSRP is $2,295.00. Perhaps you could elaborate and explain what you mean.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 8:22 AM In reply to

• rik6110
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Dear Larry Rubin,

thank you for your quick reply!

You´re right. You offer education prices for Media Composer software and AVID hardware. But, no one in germany told us that are several updates included! We bougth XPRESS PRO HD as one of the first universities in Germany and as you stopped the development of the software we had to change to Media Composer without a special program to support that. We´ve not the budget to upgrade to every new software version, but our course should be up-to-date. That is only possible if the industry will support us.

There are two more points:

1) There is no teaching material for AVID Media Composer except the video tutorial and the manual. The material you show on trade fairs are not available for teaching. I talked with AVID Munich about that and they said they aren´t able to help me.

Digidesign offers a course (Pro Tools 101) which includes project material. (All other books are only available if you book a workshop in an official training center.) You are not allowed to use the book (101) or the training material from a workshop for teaching in the class room or lab. We need material from real TV/cinema spots and music productions, even if they are some years old, to motivate our students to learn your systems. The video and audio content you send with the Media Composer software is not what the student today looking for.

It would be great, if you´ll offer real production materials for the hand of the teacher and for the use in the lab. Why isn´t there a free teaching program for teachers/Professors to learn the new features of ProTools. The universities in Germany are not having the money to send there stuff to a workshop of an official training center and there is also no time to join a course during the semester. A summer camp f. e., maybe also for students, would be very useful.

2) As we bought our Digidesign hardware, there was no discount possible - like we get for our UnityLanShare f. e.. Special conditions seemed to be only available if you booked some workshops before. In the last year during the fusion of Digidesign with AVID, we waiting for months to get an education price for some plug-ins, because no one in Germany get some information about your plans in the US. Now it seems to become better. Our resellers in Germany having some information, but they can offer a official price list for education prices. So, if I plan to buy something, I must ask for each product. Why is there no education store in the internet, like f. e. Apple has one?

In the next week I have a meeting with our president. He wants to know why we need so much money teaching our students for video editing and audio post - why do i using not only free software products? We having not the budget to replace the systems during the period of 5-7 years and I do not know how I could argue for your products. Your products are standards in the industry and I will work wholehearted that we get the budget to go on working with your systems, but I am not sure, if i will win.

I am a convinced user and teacher of your products since more than 15 years. But in some situation it is hard to argument why we should use your products for teaching audio- and video postproduction.

I hope you understand our situation a little better now!

Best wishes from Germany,

Rik

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 8:38 AM In reply to

• rik6110
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Dear Larry Rubin,

a third important point:

As we bought XPRESSPro HD you offer the free learning edition AVIDfreeDV for our students. Also Digidesign offes a free ProTools version months before. That was the killing argument to buy your products, because we wanted a solution that give our students the max of support to learn and work with your products.

Why do you stopped both learning editions?
    I know it is expensive to support it but if you give the teachers the information to do that for you
    it would be the best you can do to defend your place in the industry.

Best wishes again,

Rik 

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 12:28 PM In reply to

Hello Rik:

Your point about the lack of printed educational training modules is a good one and I will take it up with Avid Customer Advocate Marianna. In the meantime, there is a wealth of video tutorials and tips available to you completely free. Please see this thread for details and links. Also, one of our other moderators, Douglas Bruce, has produced over 200 basic tutorials that the entire community has found very helpful.

Douglas Tutorials 1

Douglas Tutorials 2

Another tutorial link

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 1:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Rik, Larry is not employed by Avid but, rather, is a customer and a moderator on the forums.

I do know that a major push is on within Avid to better support educational partners such as yourself. There is a path to having your facility qualified to offer Avid sanctioned classes. I will forward your concerns to Avid's director of Education and hopefully she'll have something to offer.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 1:45 PM In reply to

• video652
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • Posts 525
    • Points 6,220

This is very good dialogue with respect to support for educational institutions. We have had, 6 Avid Xpress pro HD workstations and 1 Media Composer workstation at our high school for the past 4+ years. The only complaint I would have is, the lack of fx ability. Trying to convince the school to buy seats for all workstations is like trying to get them to buy a sympony. If they could perhaps charged $395 per educational suite which would include, Avid fx, Avid DVD, Boris Continuum and Sorenson, it would help an institution lack ours greatly. Just a thought! I must say that I am proud to teach the high school students Avid and look forward to using MC5. Thanks Avid!

HP Zbook 17 G2. 16gigs of ram, Nvidia k4100m [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 30 2010 3:42 PM In reply to

• Tim Mynett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 30 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 25
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee

Hi Rik, 

I wanted to introduce myself to you as I am the Training Partner Program Manager based in EMEA for Avid and I wanted to let you know that we do have a Training Partner Program for both Pro Tools and Media Composer. Both programs contain curriculum and full Certification exams for students through Authorised Avid Training Partners. Below are the courses that can be offered by AATP's and these courses can be run as either integrated courses to a longer program or as short courses depending on your facility. 

For Media Composer we have two levels of Certification and I have put the course structures below: 

For Pro Tools here are the courses we have available:

Avid’s authorized training partners are eligible for a wealth of benefits and entitlements, including:

·       Curriculum Support: Instructors spend much of their valuable time in creating new educational content whenever a new version of the software is released – we’re here to help with that. Our content, developed by a worldwide team of educators and users, will provide the foundation your staff needs to stay on the cutting edge of the industry. This gives your instructors the resources they need to focus on more important teaching tasks.

·       Ongoing Staff Support: Avid Certified Instructors are an essential part of the Avid Training Partner program. We maintain that relationship through direct access to Avid training professionals and membership to an online community of Avid Certified Instructors allowing staff and partners alike to benefit from the experience of their peers.

·       Learning Management System Access: Avid provides authorized partners private access to a web-based Learning Management System (portal) where instructors can administer student assessments and end-user certification exams. Other features include:

o   Restricted discussion forums for instructors and administrators

o   Resource libraries with downloadable content, classroom presentations, instructor resource guides, and related instructional assets

o   Student roster management for exam delivery and results tracking

·       Financial Benefit: Partner schools receive exclusive discounts on Avid products that support the curriculum they deliver. Discounts vary by partner level and product and more information is available by contacting your regional Training Partner Program manager.

·       Visibility: Partner schools are able to promote their affiliation with Avid in a number of ways, including:

o   Detailed partner profile and contact information posted on Avid.com

o   Publicly available classes displayed through a listing on the Avid.com web site “class finder”

o   Cooperative marketing support, including access to Avid logos and trademarks to promote your partnership

i would like to discuss our Training programs with you in more detail so please contact me directly at tim.mynett@avid.com.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Tim 

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 3:46 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

So there y'are. Thanks to Marianna for sending this up the line to Tim. We hope that this will start to help you in your curriculum!

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller