Latest post Fri, Mar 25 2011 10:10 PM by James@Seamless. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 8:46 AM

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 23 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Avid MXF files back into Avid (lost the project)

Hi, 

this is driving me nuts: I've digitized footage on a different MAC on my external hd but forgot to copy the project across. So I've got some MXF clips in my MediaFiles folder but can't access them. There must be a simple way to do that, just can't remember how?!?! Thanks heaps.

iMac, Avid MC 3.54

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Apr 23 2010 9:22 AM In reply to

Re: Avid MXF files back into Avid (lost the project)

Hi,

Open the Media Tool from within whatever project you're in, and you should be able to see all the media on the system.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Apr 23 2010 9:34 AM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Hi Carl,

thanks for that but that's not what I mean. I can see the particular mxf files in my folder but I need to get these files into a new created Avid project so I can work with them. Do I make sense? Thx

• Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:28 AM In reply to

• RalphFoster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 84
    • Points 975

I think Carl means you can drag them or copy them from the media tool to a new bin in a new project and work with them there, even if the original project name is different.

If you can't see them in the media tool, the media folder probably needs rescanning or you didn't check ALL projects when opening up the media tool.

Hope you get it all back!

Ralph

MC 8.8.5 OS X v10.11.5 QT 7.6.6 on Local USB3 RAID [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 3 2010 2:57 AM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Hi,

I think I haven't explained my problem well enough. I have an mxf file in my Avid MediaFiles folder. There is no project for this file, it's just sitting there not linked to anything. I can't use the media tool cause there I need to select a project. So what can I do with this mxf file? I can't import an mfx file into Avid. Surely you can convert it into a quicktime but that would mean loss of quality. So what are my options? Thanks guys

• Mon, May 3 2010 3:41 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

The list of projects in the Media Tool is derived from the project names in the indexed Media Files, not from any specific projects that exist on the system, so if the clips were digitised into a project called "Foobar" then that should appear in the project list in Media Tool if the clips have been indexed by Avid.

If it's not showing up then it's possible that the Media Files haven't been properly indexed, in which case try deleting the "msm" database files and let Avid re-index the media directory.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, May 3 2010 4:15 AM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Alright, I got it. Thanks heaps for your patience, keep up the good work!!!

• Fri, May 21 2010 3:17 AM In reply to

ok i'm having this exact problem except that the project file does not list the MXF files. I see the MXF files, and have deleted the database files and the media files in the project (i -do- have the project file even!) and the MXF files are still not in the media tool or not linked to the project.

help!

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, May 21 2010 3:24 AM In reply to

photosensitiv:
    the MXF files are still not in the media tool or not linked to the project.

Then you are not

photosensitiv:
    having this exact problem

Your problem is different.

Are your media files in the proper folder?  ~\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 21 2010 8:49 AM In reply to

The MediaFiles-folder MUST be on top of the drive, in the root-directory. On either System.

keep this in mind.

regards,

thommes

MacPro EightCore AVID Symphony Nitris MacPro QuadCore AVID MC 5.5 PowerMac G4 733 Meridien 1 AVID MC 10.6 ppc601e AVID Filmcomposer version 5 on NuVista... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:24 PM In reply to

• Derbyrace
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 22 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

How about this one.. MC 5.5.1 on mac.. I have tried the steps listed to import my .MXF files but nothing works. I've reindexed. I've placed my files in the 1 folder. I've found them in the media tool and dragged them to my bin... "Some of the items arriving in the bin are currently marked not to display in the bin. The items have arrived safely". All my option for displaying are on and I see a files with a totally different name I cant do anything with... My file comes over and is renamed or something. It now shows up as a "source file". I'm unable to import mxf files without the project.. Can someone give me a solution.

Thanks

MacPro MC 5.5.1 Pro Tools HD|Native. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:48 PM In reply to

Derbyrace:
    I've found them in the media tool and dragged them to my bin...

When you use this procedure, you should be displaying and dragging only master clips, not actual media files. Is that what you did?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:54 PM In reply to

• Derbyrace
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 22 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

No, I dont have a master clip for this media file.

MacPro MC 5.5.1 Pro Tools HD|Native. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:59 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

I don't know whether you did this or not. "In the Media tool You have to check all projects and check master clips only + select the hard drives in which your media exists; in order to see your clips".

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

Jayanta:

I don't know whether you did this or not. "In the Media tool You have to check all projects and check master clips only + select the hard drives in which your media exists; in order to see your clips".

Correct, but to avoid clutter with other non-related projects, it would be best if the MXF files you refer to are the only things on a specific drive, and then target only that drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller