Latest post Wed, Apr 21 2010 3:35 PM by mjolnarn. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:23 PM

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 29 2010
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

pan and zoom

Hello !

I'm working with a 2404x2702 300dpi file and I want to zoom in the image.  I use Avid Pan and Zoom tool to do that, but it seems to have compression on the image.  I can't zoom a lot without loosing Quality.  I have tried every menus in the avid editor, but no change ...

Can someone give me a workflow to use Pan and zoom properly ?

Thanks !

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:26 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: pan and zoom

Pan and Zoom will not display a full res image until it is rendered. Create the effect, choose the render filter (I like Avid Ultra High Quality) and, once it's rendered, you will see the full quality image.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:55 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Rendering is not the problem.  Even if I render, it looks like Sh*t.  To compare, I import the image in a bin and put it in the Time line and I zoom in with a Warp effect using the Z axis and it looks better ....????  I really don't understand.  Usually, when I use Pan and zoom , when I select Display Target I see the image already zoomed. but now I see it Full Frame.  Thats why when I zoom it looks like very awfull...

An idea to solve this ?

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:01 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

What render filter are you using and to what is your timeline quality set?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Also, what version of MC, what OS and what resolution is your sequence?

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:43 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

I have a MC 4.0.5 NitrisDX

Timeline 30i NTSC

Windows Xp Professionnal

Timeline quality is the full green ovale

render filter is Avid Ultra Qual, Cache image resolution

What I don't understand is when I was editing at another client studio, When I load the image in pan and zoom, the image was full frame (display source).  Then I was changing the dsiplay setting to ''Display source'' and the image was zoomed.  I had latitude to ''move in the image''.  But today, even if I select display Target or display source, the image is always full frame.  That's the problem ....  I think ... What do you think ?

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:45 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I do. Sounds as if the effect is not actually addressing the file correctly. Try making a copy of it, take it down in size by half and see if the effect will see THAT instead.

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 7:08 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Fist of all, thank you very much taking time to help me, I appreciate.

My graphist resized the file. I have now a 1202x1351 / 72 DPi file and 1202x1351 / 300DPi. None of them works. 

Like before, the image is displayed at full size at Source or Target Display, so when I zoom, it looks very compressed like in a WARP effect ..... 

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 7:49 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Do you think it can be a AVID software problem (version 4.0.5) or am I doing something wrong in the creation of the file (I tried JPEG and PNG) ??

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 8:58 PM In reply to

Dave:
    I have now a 1202x1351 / 72 DPi file and 1202x1351 / 300DPi. None of them works. 
    As far as Avid and Pan  and Zoom is concerned you only have one file size  1202 pixels by 1351 pixels.

The different DPI will only affect the PRINTED size.

If you want to zoom in to twice the size then save your file in the graphic program as atleast 2404px by 2702px . For 3x zoom your original image size should be at least 3606px by 4053px  etc

FWIW in Video think resolution in no of horizontal and vertical pixels. For Print think resoultion as Size in inches (or cm) coupled with Dots Per Inch

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 9:21 PM In reply to

• RUD ONE
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 14 2006
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,570

What project size are you working in? HD, SD?

MCA v4.0.5,HP XW8200, Adrenaline [view my complete system specs]

Rud One - Milwaukee, WI

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 9:54 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Thanks for the tip for DPI vs Resolution.  I will take note of the resolutions vs the zoom factor.  Very Useful.

I'm working in SD 30i.

I'm now at my studio at home with a MC version 3.1.1 with Mojo.  I have good results.  The difference is render time.

It takes about 3 minutes to render my pan and zoom at home and it looks very good. 

At my client studio, it takes 12 seconds, and it looks very bad ... I think the problem is how my client Avid renders the file.  It should take more time.  It looks like it's only a preview render ....

AND.

I have tried a similar zoom in Final Cut Pro7, and I can zoom a Looooooooooot  more, very easy and clean.....Oufffff ... I should not say more.

Worst case scenario, I'll do it at home if it does not render properly tomorow at my client studio. 

Thanks everyone for your Help ! Really appreciate it !

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:07 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

One thing that might be worth trying is taking teh Pand and zoom plug in from the Avid MC applications folder (It's in MC>Supporting Files>AVX Plugins) and replacing the one on your 4.x system.

If there is a proble with the plug in, that might fix it.

• Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:47 PM In reply to

Dave, i know how you feel :), i had same problem. I don't know why, but MC pan and zoom makes pictures look very bad. So i tried other option - BCC pan and zoom and "wualia", crisp, clean, nice picture, which you can zoom in by your picture resolution without any lost of quality. I used FCP 6 before and it's zoom pan option compare to BCC one, looks like small mini cooper in front of Hummer.

Acer Laptop, Intel Dual Core, 2.20GHz, 3GB RAM, Win XP, SP 3, GeForce 9500m GS 512 MB, 5.0 MC [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 21 2010 2:22 AM In reply to

• Niko L
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 9 2009
    • Finland
    • Posts 52
    • Points 595

There is another quite lengthy message thread about this issue. A bug in the 4.0.5 Avid Pan & Zoom filter is preventing effects to be rendered properly. This has been around since October last year. I wasted quite a bit of time with this issue.

The solution is to replace the Pan & Zoom plug-in with the plug-in from your Media Composer 3.x. Just make sure to make a backup of your original plug-in first in case something doesn't work.

I hope this helps.

Avid Symphony 6.5.2 | Asus P8Z77V i7-3770K 3.50GHz | 32 GB RAM | Win 7 Pro 64-bit | Quadro 2000 | Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro (9.6.8 drivers) Avid... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller