Latest post Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:22 PM by TCurren. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 13 2010 7:18 PM

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2008
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 310

Color Correction Help

Does anyone have any suggestions for training, dvd's or online tutorials specifically related to color correction on a Symphony Nitris?  I have been finishing on the system for quite a while, but haven't been called upon to do any real grading until now.  I purchased the Hullfish book and it's great, but I really wish there was something that addressed the symphony toolset specifically short of the manual and I'm really more of a visual learner. 

From what I can tell, there's an out of stock DVD for MC color correction, there's a general SN class that's not scheduled anytime soon if at all in the Burbank area, a free tutorial about secondary color correction on the AVID site and an fxphd class about finishing on a Davinci.  None of these seem specific enough to what I'm trying to do.

Additionally I would very much appreciate any reccommendations for HD scopes that will do a decent job without breaking the bank as well as any online resources for calibrating HD monitors.

Thanks in advance.

Symphony Nitris Classic 4.0.5 on 2.33 quad core XW8400/12GB RAM Quadro FX 3500 (Vista 64 Biz) [view my complete system specs]

Adam Cravens Online Editor Big Boss Creative

• Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:10 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Re: Color Correction Help

Adam Cravens:
    I would very much appreciate any reccommendations for HD scopes that will do a decent job without breaking the bank as well as any online resources for calibrating HD monitors.

Hi Adam, I'm a DS user, and do alot of gradeing... I'm using the Blackmagic Scopes, and a HP DreamcolorPro mon, fed from a blackmagic HDlinkPro, that in turn is fed from the DS's duallink 444 output, with the HDlink's HDSDI out going to the scope, the same gear works fine with single link as well, and will be ready for 444 when it arrives on Symp soon.

I use the Dreamcolor's optional OneEye callibration kit to line-up the mon after i have white point set to 25 Fl, and use the 709 profile.

This set-up works really well, and is truly cost effective.

As for gradeing, DS is much the same as Symp, my advice is to take a look at Johanes Itten's book "The Art of Color", and a few tutorials on color from the Magic Bullet guy, as there's nothing in there you can't do in either Symp or DS easily, but you can downoad the same footage and mess around with it to match his stuff.

Then play a bunch when the producer's not around ;-)

Good luck.

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:01 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2008
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 310

Thanks very much for your advice, Dermot.  Is that to say you are using the Blackmagic Ultrascope?  This is a card which runs in a dedicated pc with an attached LCD for a screen correct?  This seems like a pretty cost effective solution as I'm sure we have a few discarded offline workstations lying around that would work for this.

Symphony Nitris Classic 4.0.5 on 2.33 quad core XW8400/12GB RAM Quadro FX 3500 (Vista 64 Biz) [view my complete system specs]

Adam Cravens Online Editor Big Boss Creative

• Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Adam Cravens:

Thanks very much for your advice, Dermot.  Is that to say you are using the Blackmagic Ultrascope?  This is a card which runs in a dedicated pc with an attached LCD for a screen correct?  This seems like a pretty cost effective solution as I'm sure we have a few discarded offline workstations lying around that would work for this.

Yup that's correct ;-)

i have a xp32 "support" machine in my rack, it has software MC, the OneEye calibration for the Dreamcolor & the Ultrascope loaded.

You  will have to chk the spec's for the Ultrascope, it needs a gfx card & display that run at 1920x1080 at a minimum, so an old offline station like a 8200/3450 might be a good choice, solid as a rock for sure.

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Apr 25 2010 8:57 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Correction, that scope needs 1900 X 1200. Anything less and it won't run. I just tried on Thursday. Other than that, the scope rocks.

Michael Forrest

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:20 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Make sure the GFX card is OGL 2 compliant.

I took an old XW8200, threw in a $100.00 GFX card from Frys, added the BM Ultrascope and bam, HD scope for under 1 grand.

The downside is, the windows aren't programmable. So you are stuck with the preset view which isn't the best for Color Correction.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 4:21 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Actually, there is a new update of Ultrascope software out now. You can now use smaller monitors and you can display a 2 up screen instead of all 6 windows. There are a few other features too. Blackmagic has the free download on their website. A very cool product for sure.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:27 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Still not great for CC. In CCing, I want RGB parade, Vector, expanded vector, and composite waveform. I don't need any audio info or the picture. Not only do those distract, but they also pollute the color sensitivity of your eyes.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 7:03 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

well it's still a version 1 product so there's room for improvement.

you can now zoom in to Vector, RGB and Waveform too. There is also a composite waveform view.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:22 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Abeyta:
    you can now zoom in to Vector,

Yes, but not a full size vector and a zoomed one. You want to se both at the same time for black and white balance and skin tones.

I did point this out to the engineer at NAB, so hopefully they will address it.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller