Latest post Sat, Apr 24 2010 3:33 PM by OliverPeters. 104 replies.
Page 6 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 22 2010 2:59 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Re: Symphony - In desperate need of some TLC

editdudes:

Most logical would be to have only ONE mc product, and offer advanced finishing tools as an option (or possibly a few separate modules)

The option should contain a full fledged color correction module with most of the bells and whistles that DaVinci and others offer, enhanced keying tools, universal mastering and possibly more stuff that mc doesn't have today and most people have limited need for anyway.

I agree 100%.  MC becomes the editor and the Symphony Color Corrector becomes an add-on option, with a nice new control surface.  Perhaps this is a direction Avid should focus on.  MC as the editor, Symph as the CC, and DS as the high-end system.  Two products and one has a CC option.T  he problem is that the Symphony CC, while great several years ago, is falling back to the pack.

editdudes:
    Can you explain why Avid's only possible option is to become a one trick pony?

for Post? Two trick with an option - see above.  And then the user can choose the IO based on his/her workflow. 

editdudes:
    Avid's Marketing Dept doesn't seem to know it exists...

Kirk should force everyone in marketing to learn to edit on MC and DS....!

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Ok, now that we have solved the issue Avid's senior management finds so difficult, where do we send the invoice for our services?

Big Smile

Wouldn't it be nice to see a comment from Avid?

Off the record naturally, since everything else is claimed to be illegal...

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 5:02 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

With the close of the Euphonix deal yesterday, I would expect that we will see a control panel for the Symphony CC next year.

Avid needs to add RT shapes to the CC ASAP at a minimum. RT noise reduction would be great also.

Right now, the trade-off between Symphony CC and the other folks offerings (Color, daVinci, etc) is that you can color correct IN the timeline! Never underestimate what a great timesaver this is. Which doesn't excuse Avid from letting the CC falter over the years, I'm just pointing out that it is still better for modern workflows due to it's tight integration.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 5:09 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

TCurren:
    Right now, the trade-off between Symphony CC and the other folks offerings (Color, daVinci, etc) is that you can color correct IN the timeline! Never underestimate what a great timesaver this is.

A+

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:02 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

switthaus:
    I agree 100%.  MC becomes the editor and the Symphony Color Corrector becomes an add-on option, with a nice new control surface.  Perhaps this is a direction Avid should focus on.  MC as the editor, Symph as the CC, and DS as the high-end system.  Two products and one has a CC option.T  he problem is that the Symphony CC, while great several years ago, is falling back to the pack.

Yes

TCurren:

Right now, the trade-off between Symphony CC and the other folks offerings (Color, daVinci, etc) is that you can color correct IN the timeline! Never underestimate what a great timesaver this is. Which doesn't excuse Avid from letting the CC falter over the years, I'm just pointing out that it is still better for modern workflows due to it's tight integration.

Yes

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

I am a little bit shocked that people think that product features should be enabled by paying large sums of money like in the old days.

$10,000 extra for secondary CC is not sustainable and the writing has been on the wall for Symphony for some time.

Will producers pay high rates to grade in a Sympathy room when they could grade on the new DaVinci for the same money?

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:30 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

TCurren:
    Right now, the trade-off between Symphony CC and the other folks offerings (Color, daVinci, etc) is that you can color correct IN the timeline!

Damn straight, but that advantage will not last forever....

sw

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:59 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

switthaus:
    Damn straight, but that advantage will not last forever....

True. And it only applies to projects offlined on MC. Of course, this is one reason we should be thankful for anything Avid does to increase MC users.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

TCurren:
    Of course, this is one reason we should be thankful for anything Avid does to increase MC users.

Great point.  If indeed Symphony survives, the more MC's the better.  But with things like MB Looks working so well in MC, that advantage can fade for Symph...

sw

Scott Witthaus

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I don't think Avid should EOL the Symphony. They just need to develop it. I think there will always be a market of people willing to pay more to get more finishing features.

The DS is PC only so that alienates Mac users (like me). 

If Avid handed down Symphony's cc features to MC would MC software be able to handle the performance required for realtime segment, program and seconday cc?

If the Symphony is EOL'ed when the time comes for me to upgrade my system. I'd probably take a serious look at Smoke on the Mac before the DS on a PC.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:23 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Abeyta:

If Avid handed down Symphony's cc features to MC would MC software be able to handle the performance required for realtime segment, program and seconday cc?

I think it's safe to say it would. Both products share the same codebase, and the Symphony CC is "just" an additional software module or plugin.

In the early days (late 90's), you could actually insert an MC dongle in an Xpress system and you suddenly had the full MC software running.

If the Symphony is EOL'ed when the time comes for me to upgrade my system. I'd probably take a serious look at Smoke on the Mac before the DS on a PC.

Agreed. Smoke on the Mac seems to be a product that can seriously challenge DS.

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,621
    • Points 223,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Sorry for jumping in late here but with NAB behind me I am just now getting caught up……    

Both Terry and Scott know the amount of email that greets me after NAB as I chewed their ear about it over dinner in Vegas.  6700+ this year…. Yikes.

Anyway, I have finally read through this forum thread so here is a short recap of the theme of it all that I have come away with.  There is not enough differentiation between Media Composer and Symphony, and you feel “left behind”.     

The Symphony Nitris DX v5 will be able to utilize it's advanced color correction tools in full HD RGB 4:4:4 and in real time to master to dual link HD to HDCAM-SR in the correct color space. In addition, Symphony is one of the only systems capable of conforming any file based project; including RED, XDCAM HD, P2, Canon and QuickTime. Combine the Universal Mastering and Advanced Color Correction with the new HD RGB color space and native file based finishing and processing and you end up with one of the best finishing solutions for any HD project.

What I can say is …….. there are NO plans to merge Media Composer and Symphony in the near or long term and there IS development and progress behind the walls of Avid for the future.

And to Terry’s point in an earlier post ….   You “KNOW” I can’t say anything about futures.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:35 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

NICKB:

I am a little bit shocked that people think that product features should be enabled by paying large sums of money like in the old days.

$10,000 extra for secondary CC is not sustainable and the writing has been on the wall for Symphony for some time.

Hopefully not like in the old days, and definitely not just secondary cc. Think of it as optional plugins!

The price tag must be reasonable, and the "advanced finishing option" absolutely has to be on par with the best of the competing products, like DaVinci, Smoke etc. If not, it will probably fail miserably...

Will producers pay high rates to grade in a Sympathy room when they could grade on the new DaVinci for the same money?

If Avid's "new and improved CC" is comparable to DaVinci and you can grade using your familiar avid timeline, then why not? It would actually save both time and money.

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:44 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, the new DaVinci Resolve software will not be available for PCs.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:59 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Marianna:

...here is a short recap of the theme of it all that I have come away with.  There is not enough differentiation between Media Composer and Symphony, and you feel “left behind”.     

Hi Marianna!

The lack of differentiation is actually not that much of a problem, but a high end finishing product lacking basic features required by today's standards is deeply troublesome.

If you can't use masks in the main CC and can't even color correct the fill of a key separately without standing on your head, then Symphony unfortunately is no match for the competition. This is absolutely NUTS and  should have been fixed a decade ago!

What I can say is …….. there are NO plans to merge Media Composer and Symphony in the near or long term and there IS development and progress behind the walls of Avid for the future.

This is indeed good news. Thanks for letting us know! 

E D I T   D U D E S

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

Page 6 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller