Latest post Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:57 AM by luca.mg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:26 PM

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 29 2010
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

Import HD

i ! 

Please help me choose for the best workflow.  My assistant transfers the XDCAM EX3 files from a card to a transport hard drive during a shoot. He then transcode the files with XDCAM EX Clip browser to MXF/AAF.

MY QUESTION:

Is it better to copy the MXF files on AVID hard drive in the MXF folder and drag the AAF files into a bin and Bingo !

OR

Is it better to transfert the files from the XDCAM EX3 file card on the transport disk to Avid hard drive and use them with the AMA import option ?

In both ways, the transfert time to the Avid Drive is the same and I have to make a video mixdown of my sequence to create a Qt ref to put in Sorenson.

Thanks !

• Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:59 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,796
    • Points 68,070

Re: Import HD

You don't need to transcode the files if using AMA: You can link to the XDCAM folder structure on the transport hard drive, still You may want to transcode them inside of Avid to work with Avid mediafiles instead of the AMA "virtual" yellow clips.

Symphony 20.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:30 AM In reply to

luca.mg:
    You may want to transcode them inside of Avid to work with Avid mediafiles instead of the AMA "virtual" yellow clips.

Technically speaking, you should Consolidate them - not Transcode.  

Transcoding implies that you would be changing the clips from the native XDCam 35 Mbit codec into an Avid codec (ie, DNx145)

When you Consolidate AMA footage, you simply "re-wrap" the native codec into an Avid MXF file.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:57 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,796
    • Points 68,070

Kenton.VanNatten:

Technically speaking, you should Consolidate them - not Transcode.  

Totally right, as both the consolidate and the transcode commands lead to the same window, and one may want to edit at an offline low resolution to go online at a later stage, I wrote transcode, but technically speaking, if importing the clips to create mediafiles rather than working with the AMA clips, it's a consolidate; and thank You Kenton for clarifying that.

Symphony 20.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller