Latest post Thu, Mar 25 2010 4:42 PM by PAULHAMMACOTT. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:36 PM

Avid MC Problems with importing QT with Alpha

I've been sent some titles and caption graphic animations by email as matte key files. I've exported them as QT to my Mac desktop. They are neither progressive nor interlaced (they do not use field rendering).

On importing them to AVID MC at 1.1MXF the captions become distorted with venetian lines/serrated edges as they slide or move across the screen. I'm aware that most editing packages default to Interlaced (either Upper or Lower) but this shouldn't effect the way a fieldless movie is displayed.

I've tried numerous settings to test my import options (RGB/601 - upper/lower) but so far without success. I am viewing them on an external TV monitor (via Mojo SDI) as well as my progressive computer monitor. The distortion is evident on both monitors.

Thanks.

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:39 PM In reply to

Re: AVID MC PROBLEMS WITH IMPORTING QT WITH ALPHA

Hi,

PAULHAMMACOTT:
    They are neither progressive nor interlaced (they do not use field rendering).

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of a fieldless movie.  How are they being displayed on a computer monitor (progressive) or a TV monitor (interlaced or progressive) if they are neither progressive or interlaced?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:07 PM In reply to

Hi

below is the reply from the graphics artist who sent me the matte key:

The files are neither progressive nor interlaced they do not use field rendering. Most Editing packages default to Interlaced (either Upper or Lower) but this shouldn't effect the way a fieldless movie is displayed.

I have also never heard of fieldless movie so if you have any idea what this means i'd appreciate your input.

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:07 PM In reply to

Hi

below is the reply from the graphics artist who sent me the matte key:

The files are neither progressive nor interlaced they do not use field rendering. Most Editing packages default to Interlaced (either Upper or Lower) but this shouldn't effect the way a fieldless movie is displayed.

I have also never heard of fieldless movie so if you have any idea what this means i'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Paul

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:14 PM In reply to

Hi Paul,

Ok, that sounds like graphics-guy voodoo to me, but maybe I've missed a meeting.  Smile

What kind of project are you working in?  (What format & frame rate?  NTSC 30i?  PAL 25i?  Something HD?  Film?)  What will you be outputting?  (A tape?  A DVD?  A file for the web?)

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:26 PM In reply to

Hi Carl,
    yeah i feel the same, like i've been bewitched with technical jargonHmm. Can't work it out.
    I'm working in a PAL 25i project, importing at 1.1MXF. I'll be outputting a same as source QT to be broadcast on television. I have done this before with success but used my own captions graphics created in AVID title tool. I've now been asked to include these imported QT matte key captions, which aren't working. I have made a playout to DVD to check distortion and it remains. Any ideas?
    cheers
    Paul

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hi Paul,

What the graphic artist means is he used frame based rendering for his output rather than field based. That doesn't mean the file is not interlaced or progressive. That choice is made within the codec he chose to output.

So, let's start with what file type were you given by the artist? QT? WMV? JPEG?

Then, you say you "EXPORTED" his file. How did you do that? what codec did you choose when you exported?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:54 PM In reply to

Hi Carl

It was a QT file, downloaded via his sendspace account. I just clicked on the download button to export the QT to my desktop. No settings where available when I downloaded the QT.

Then I imported the QT into my AVID using different import settings, all without success. Have included a selection below, hope you can open these tiff files. No codec selected on import.

file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/IMPORT%20QT%201.tiff file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/IMPORT%20QT%202.tiff file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/IMPORT%20QT%203..tiff file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/IMPORT%20QT%204.tiff file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/IMPORT%20QT%205.tiff I've asked him to send me the details of the codec he used to output the QT. Will let you know when that information arrives. Thanks Carl.

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Ok, not Carl but we'll move on... Wink

So you didn't actually export anything. You just downloaded his QT file. That means you did not alter his codec at all.

So, what you need to do is ask him in which codec he exported his animations and we can go from there.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Also, you didn't actually upload anything.

If you want to send me a link and password via PM to the sharepoint, I'd be happy to take a look.

Lastly, "TIFF"? Where did tiffs come into this? I thought we were working with QTs....?

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:31 PM In reply to

Hi Carl

The codec he is using is below:

Adobe After effects rendered as an Animation codec Quicktime.

Cheers. Paul

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:36 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Still not Carl.....

Ok, great, that's a good codec. Problem is, I have had trouble importing that codec when using frame based renders from AE. He may need to do a field based render for you.

Let's look at something else, if you get info on the QT file, what does the file say for Frame Size and field type?

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:37 PM In reply to

Sorry, didn't register the change in contact. Thought it was still Carl.

The tiff's are just Mac screen grabs of the Avid settings tool I used, each was a different import setting

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:41 PM In reply to

Below is a screen grab of QT info.

file:///Users/paulhammacott/Desktop/QT%20info.tiff

• Thu, Mar 25 2010 4:42 PM In reply to

Hey, I'm getting the guy to send me a lower field QT version. Will test this and finger crossed it will work. If not will check back tomorrow. Thanks for all your help BLKDOG. Paul

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller