Latest post Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:07 PM by MAC HOLLAND. 166 replies.
Page 5 of 12 (167 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:30 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 10 2010
    • Arnhem, The Netherlands
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Re: Hardware Advice from the Avid Test Team

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 2nd hand, 2 years old NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 for the price of a new FX3800, what would you guys do / what is the best choice ? go for the extra power of the 5600 (or will it be overkill for AVID MC?) or for the reliability of the newer 3800 model?

Please help me decide ?

Greetings,

Chris

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 9:00 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Chris:
    Please help me decide ?
    Avid's distributed processing seems to work on Quadro FX 3700 and 3800 only as far as I understand, and I'd go for the most recent card to maximize Your investment anyway.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:42 PM In reply to

sverkalo:
    Thanks to all of the team for those Marianna

I was browsing extensively for MC - Surround Audio mixing, but found very little info and no related topic/question. Thanks a lot for the details make MC work. I also made a test on the trial, and realised the ATI video card has to be replaced to Nvidia, at least Confused(or revert "back" to single monitor view for a while...) Essential part in my decision to migrate is Surround Audio. This I was not be able to collect information about, what hardware and workflow is necessary to create pro level 5.1 surround mix with MC. Especially if the chanels needs to be mixed (12 or more A chanels) on a time line. (This I love(d) in Liquid very much!!!!)

I learned MC is a different way of thinking, but would you please be able to share some basic steps, what is recommended procedure and what cost effective hardware is suggested for DD 5.1 (DTS?) DVDs and Blu-Ray creation? ProTools seems to be an option, but expensive for  "simple migration", especially if a HW is required. Other point is that it is "outside" MC, that is Video editing separates for Audio. I would prefer to have the two in one, if possible.

Noone asked for the Pro box so far, although I guess many of you own it: With the introduction of HD(V) the Liquid PRO box offers limited functionality (SD video out only). Still it is a perfect interface for monitoring 5.1 Surround sound while mixing/editing. Is there any way (or plan) to use the existing Liquid Pro box with MC (for Audio, at least?) (I installed the drivers, but there is a disconnect, as I expected)

Is there any "related" HW? Has the Mojo (or other HW) any effect on this problem (as Mojo has only Stereo out)?

Thanks - Tibor

Editor PC: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3; Intel Quad Core 2.66MHz; Zalman cooler; WD Raid Edition SATA HDDs 400GB+1TB+Raid0>2*400GB); LG DL DVD Burner; MSI/ATI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:49 PM In reply to

Tibor:

If you're asking "Can I edit in 5.1 surround on the native Avid timeline?" I'm sorry to say that the answer at this time is no. You would need to do the audio finishing in ProTools or any other desired DAW. I export AAF files to Pro Tools for finishing work.

And currently, beyond the Nitris and Mojo DX hardware, the only 3rd party hardware to be supported is the Matrox MXO2 Mini for outboard HD monitoring only, with the release of MC 5 on June 10th. That is the hardware situation at this point in time.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 7:24 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

... You would need to do the audio finishing in ProTools or any other desired DAW. I export AAF files to Pro Tools for finishing work. ...

Larry, thanks.

With this said, unfortunately my question is out of the topic now, so this is a final question here, and I would turn to Pro Tools. But: As I have no clue on Pro Tools, and I think Pro Tools guys are less familiar with Liquid Audio section than vs., can anybody of you tell:

• - what edition is comparable to the Liquid (Audio) functionality (lot of filters, surround pan, LFE adjust, etc)
    • - What is the HW piece for real-time Surround output monitoring (over the on-board usually low-quality audio chip)? This question is especially as even in the trial there is a utility installs Pro Tools hardware.
      • What HW it is about then?
      • Why it is here, I mean what is the functionality and role?
    • - How to put together the separately made Audio and Video tracks for burning then? (Is the DVDit bundled with MC - for Liquid upgrade users - optimal for it?)
    • - to any AVID staff: I found no trial for Pro Tools. Is there a way to test it? (GUI, Integration with MC, and how to make the worflow possible. I found no AVID partner (both MC and Pro Tools) in my country on your WEB.

Thanks - Tibor

Editor PC: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3; Intel Quad Core 2.66MHz; Zalman cooler; WD Raid Edition SATA HDDs 400GB+1TB+Raid0>2*400GB); LG DL DVD Burner; MSI/ATI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 25 2010 8:13 AM In reply to

The base software would be ProTools LE, but in order for PT to be able to import AAF's and work with timecode, AND for PT to have surround tracks, you'll need to purchase the optional Complete Production Toolkit.

ProTools software only runs when it sees a supported hardware box attached. To be able to monitor surround, you'll need at least a box that has 6 outputs, like the MBox 2 Pro (around 550 EUR). If you buy such a box, the PTLE software is included. The Complete Production Toolkit is a paid option (around 1500 EUR). To be able to install and license the options and the included plugins (some of which you can also use in MC), you'll need an iLok dongle (30 EUR).

You can have both MC and PT installed on the same computer, at least under Win XP32.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 25 2010 10:45 AM In reply to

As I have said again, I have both MC 4.0.3 and PT Essentials 8.0.3 at both desktop and  laptop.

I haven't seen any problem at alleven if I run both at the same time.

This is an extreme test though and I don't know if the LE or M-Powered versions could do the same.

And this is under W7 64bit. I have always followed the rule to instal my main editing NLE (MC now)

as the last one program before I take the Acronis image.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 8:19 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Larry Rubin:
    If you're asking "Can I edit in 5.1 surround on the native Avid timeline?" I'm sorry to say that the answer at this time is no.

Well that's not *strictly* true. I have done it, after a fashion. (In some ways it is easier than trying to produce a full mix / min-minus-voice 4.0 output.)

In reality it is, however, extremely unwieldy and next to unusable if your needs extend beyond combining 2 x 5.1 discreet sources. (Exactly the same as FCP in this regard).

I'm interested to see how 'audio improvements' turn out in MC5. Stereo tracks and RTAS plug ins prove they are listening. 

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:43 AM In reply to

• Henk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,925

Can somebody explane me why a Quadro FX card is needed ?

There are a lot of good NVIDIA cards at this moment and what I know is that a Quadro card makes a lot of noise.I still have to order a new (MC) system and  I know what to order, only the NVIDIA card is a question for me.I do not work with more than 3 HD tracks on the timeline, but it must be able to work with AVCHD.

thanks in advance

Henk

Recom Powerstation black with Recom Pro Engine M850 Power/ Processor Intel Core i7 920,s1366 2,66Mhz QPI/ Memory = 2 x 3 x 2Gb (total 12Gb)/ 2 HD 750Gb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:49 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Henk:

and what I know is that a Quadro card makes a lot of noise.

Not mine ....

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:12 AM In reply to

What does using a non-Quadro card mean to performance of MC with HD content?

Also how do the "Softmodded" Nvidia cards stack up against a true Quadro in performance.  There are some stats here which show a true Quadro is still superior but in MC terms what does it mean for performance? 

I know this may sound like a silly question but I've notice some MC users appear to have softmodded cards and am curious as to what this means in terms of HD layers and realtime playback?

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:14 AM In reply to

• Lars M
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 5 2010
    • Larvik, Norway
    • Posts 203
    • Points 2,445

My Quadro FX1700 is pretty quiet....

MC 2019.8 | W10 PRO 64bit | MB ASUS X99 | INTEL i7-5930K OC@4,1mHz | 64GB Corsair Dominator 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM |Samsung 912 PRO M.2 512TB boot drive| ASUS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:18 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Being the video card one of the most crucial components in an MC setup I prefer not to mess with it, also consider that soft mods may work with a given release of the nVidia drivers, but may not work with subsequent releases, which may very well be required by MC to run, so things may change along the way: You may get a working modded card today and being unable to use it tomorrow; the decision is up to You, but as You're asking this is my opinion. As for the noisy card... urban legend? A faulty unit? Don't know what to say about performance, but I run two systems, one with a Quadro FX 560 and another with the 1700, and they both work nicely with Avid and After FX too.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:25 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply.  I agree best to stick with a Quadro and good to know the lower end 560 works.

Does anybody have any opinons on whether it's worth getting a Quadro 1800 over a 580 - given the price difference?

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 1:59 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Dean Murray:
    best to stick with a Quadro
    At least as long as Quadros are the only Avid certified cards, we all hope that this will change sometime...
    Dean Murray:
    good to know the lower end 560 works
    it works but it's an ageing card, don't go for anything less than a 580
    Dean Murray:
    any opinons on whether it's worth getting a Quadro 1800 over a 580 - given the price difference?
    the more powerful the card (and the all system), the better; but, as even a 560 is up to the job, a 580 will more than work, perhaps a 1800 will do better at handling (some?) multiple real time effects, Avid isn't very clear about how the video card increases performance, but a more powerful card certainly does improve system responsiveness and real time effects management; keep in mind that the only cards that support Avid's distributed processing are the 3700 and 3800 if I recall, but if You run After FX or a 3D software a 1800 will do You good.

peace luca

Page 5 of 12 (167 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller