Latest post Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:10 PM by rtc1085. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 17 2010 10:59 PM

• rtc1085
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 17 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Deko and Sports

I work for a public access station that owns 4 Deko systems.  Our most recent purchase was a Deko 3000 for our main studio, but we also own 3 older systems for our production truck and remote sites.  One area where we find ourselves limited is Sport Productions.  We use a Deko Add-on called Sportsnet, but it has extremely limited functionality (at least in the version we have).  We're looking for some advice from people in the industry using Deko for Sporting events.  We would like to find an add-on that allows us to more accurately control a clock and stats other than just the score.  For example, it would be great for Baseball to have some way to show who's on base and keep a count of outs, strikes, balls, etc. on screen.  We know the potential is there, from viewing any network sport coverage, but we don't know what will allow us to get past our basic setup that only allows score changes.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Sat, Mar 20 2010 12:11 AM In reply to

• LGarvin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 16 2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

Re: Deko and Sports

Contact lou.garvin@comcast.net

He wrote the SportsNet pgm.

• Sat, Mar 20 2010 12:50 AM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

I used to run a Deko for local cable baseball in the summer.  We did not use automation at all (granted, we didn't need clocks for baseball), but we did have a top-line score with the runners on and the count.  We used Custom Typefaces where the number keys (1,2,3, etc) at the top of the keyboard corresponded to an image (Runner on 1st, Runners on 1st/2nd).  Make every possible combination as a graphic in photoshop, and bring each in as a custom typeface image.

During the game, we'd tab between fields (Runners / Count / Home Score / Visitor Score) and just press the key that brought up the right image.  We were hot-typing the graphics live on-air basically, and to help remember we put console tape on the keyboard to label the keys appropriately.  We also had someone feeding the deko operator stat information, and we were able to do batter lower thirds, fun-facts, and a bump score, as well as any full screens we needed.

And we did all this on a 1-channel DEKO 500!!!  We were fast (and usually worn out at the end of the game), but it worked better than the automation they switched to two years ago, which now only does the score, and usually a ball behind.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:09 AM In reply to

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

How are your macro skills?  I've used Dekos a few years ago for Cricket (a stats heavy game) quite a bit.  We used a custom app written in VB6 that interacted with 2x Dekos via numerous macros.

I think to get the best from the Deko in a live sports environment you need to look at doing your own custom interface that makes it easier to quickly animate your graphics on and then off again.  Doing this within the Deko UI itself is a bit tedious (although obviously not impossible!).

I'm not up on any of the .NET / VB type languages myself but have found it very simple to knock up a GUI in QT, then hook this into a python script that talks to the Deko via TCP/IP.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:07 PM In reply to

• rtc1085
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanks for the info.  Our sports are actually done on a 1 channel deko 550, so not too far off from what you were using.  I believe our oldest one (used for meetings) is a 500.  Some of your suggestions sound like things we could work on implementing.  We have several people who regularly run graphics, who are not all very experienced, so something simpler would be prefered.  In the mean time though, some of these tips might work.

Thanks.

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:10 PM In reply to

• rtc1085
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanks for getting back to me.  We don't really have anyone at the station that has macro knowledge.  We use macros for things like simple dissolves between graphics and also for our election coverage, but this was all written by someone the station had connections with years ago.

I agree that the custom interface is what we need but I don't think we have the programming skills amongst our staff to get that done.  I'll certainly look into your suggestions and see what I can come up with.  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller