Latest post Sat, Mar 13 2010 2:09 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 12 2010 8:56 PM

Quicktime Export Distortion

I'm running Avid MC 3.01 on a MacPro. I've digitised all my media online. The capture tool is set to capture wild, at resolution: 1.1MXF

The rushes have been successfully captured from a DVD player thru an SDI Mojo and into Mac.

I've finished the edit which includes moving titles generated in Avid. It all looks smooth and sharp on my Avid source window on the computer monitor and the external HD TV client monitor.

I exported the final cut as a quicktime - same as source - to the desktop computer so I can email to the client for delivery, but when I open the exported QT on my computer to check it there is distortion in the image, especially on the moving titles. Where the font was originally sharp and clean, it now has venetian lines serrating the edges. Also some of the pictures have the same distortion.

I've attempted to alter the Quicktime export settings in Avid from same as source to custom H.264. I've tried countless different variables in the custom settings, but the distortion remains. Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

• Fri, Mar 12 2010 9:09 PM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Export Distortion

The "Venetian lines" (not to be confused with the Nazca lines), are normal to see when looking at an interlaced image on a progressive monitor.  So, while your QT export may look bad to you now, it likely won't be "as bad as you think" when it is burned to DVD or something like that.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Mar 13 2010 1:32 PM In reply to

Hi Kenton

Thanks for your reply to my question. I've never heard of Nazca lines, but I am predominantly an Avid offline editor so that could account for my ignorance. As you advised, the lines do not appear when I burn the QT to dvd, but my problem is that the client requires the final QT to be delivered to them via an FTP website.

Am I to understand that it will not possible to email the QT as the distortion will remain and that the only route is to deliver a hard copy dvd? Surely AVID must allow online exports to retain their quality, or is it a QT issue? Sorry to hurl more questions, I've exhausted all my options. Thanks for your interest in my problem Kenton.

Paul

• Sat, Mar 13 2010 2:09 PM In reply to

The distortion is not distortion, it is a display issue. There's no quality lost, everything is being retained. Your source footage or show is probably interlaced, and then each frame consists of two half-frames (fields), that represent different moments in time. A progressive monitor (like computer monitors) will display the two fields (belonging to different moments in time) simultaneously. That's what you are seeing.

The question is: what are you delivering for? If you are delivering for web distribution, you will need to deinterlace your show, so it will become progressive. You can do that for example by doing a video mixdown, then applying a Motion Effect to that mixdown, choosing the source to be interlaced and the destination to be progressive. Choose either Blended Interpolated or FluidMotion as effects type.

If you are delivering for broadcast, you don't need to do anything, you just have to stop watching the file on a desktop ;-)

You said you see it on your moving titles. if you are ONLY seeing it on your moving titles, your source footage may have been progressive, and you would have better worked in a progressive project format, thereby creating progressively moving titles, and eliminating any interlacing issues.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller