Latest post Thu, Oct 20 2005 11:17 PM by Steve. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 20 2005 11:17 PM

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,085

Pro-Max Sata Array

I recently purchased a 2tb 8 drive sata array from Promax running on an 8-port rocket raid PCIx card.  I am currently in the middle of a very frustrating upres after upgrading to 5.2, but that aside, the new Sata Array is meeting all my expectations.  I've digitized about an hour of 1:1 footage and so far haven't run into a hitch.  Normally I rent a media dock with online storage when it comes time to upres and so far I haven't seen a difference between the performance of the media dock and my new toy.

The only frustrating part of the process was getting the thing setup.  Promax did not include any type of instruction manuel and I wasn't sure if I should setup the raid through the card or through XP.  I called thier tech who told me to set it up through the card....wrong!  It appears that although they make a good product, they do not know how to install it on a PC.  It was very frustrating and after many promises to get me the information, I gave up and set it up through XP.

Also, whoever designed the Rocket Raid card deserves a swift kick to the family jewels.  All the connectors are on the inside of the card at the very back.  You have to thread the cables across sharp steal, twist them around to the back of the card and then try and seat the card without breaking it.  The mac equivalent card has the connections on the back like a normal card...

Those two frustrations aside, once you figure out how to get the darn thing cabled up and setup, it's a solid investment at $2395.

my 2 cents

mellon

System Specs: Mac Pro (early 2009) OS X El Capitan V10.11.16 2 x 2.66ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Memory: 64 GB 1006 DDR3 ECC Startup Disk: Mercury... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller