Latest post Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:06 PM by Philavid1. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:25 PM

• Elaad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • Israel
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Earaser on Secondary Correction?

Hey guys,

I am kinda new with Avid Symphony and I am trying to improve my final result a little bit.

For example,when I take a shot,this shot got a person with a green shirt. I click on the "Set input vector color" and choose the range of those shirt's greens. then it automatically Isolate my shot and I am able to change the shirt to another color. the problem is,that it selects other "points" of green in other areas of the shot although my background is sort of orange. Is there any chance to improve the selection to restricted areas of the picture? so I won't get all greens of the picture in my input?

or have kind of eareaer like in photoshop to earase all those "points" from the shot?

and yes,I absolutely read this paragraph:

It is important to remember that a secondary color correction affects all of the pixels in an image that fall within the selected input color range, so your ability to make a successful secondary correction depends on the overall color values of your image.

I know I am able to play with the hue width \ sat min \ sortness

to make it more restricked but still it's not easy to get the exact result I want.

Thanks in advance,

Elaad

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHZ | Arctic Cooling FREEZER 7 PRO | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Corsair DDR2 4096MB 800MHz CL4 DHX | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX260 896MB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:33 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,263
    • Points 27,955
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Earaser on Secondary Correction?

It sounds like you're looking for a Vignette. Unfortunately this isn't available in the Color Correction toolset. My only suggestion is to take a look at the Spot Effect. You might be able to get to the same place with the Paint effect using layers.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Sun, Mar 7 2010 11:57 PM In reply to

• Elaad
    • Not Ranked
    • Israel
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

People says that one picture can tell you 1000 words. In that moment I think that one word in your whole paragraph did exacly the opposite.

I googled for the Vignette

And I got

http://community.avid.com/media/p/363679.aspx

which opened me to new different ideas that might solve my problem.

Thanks a lot!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHZ | Arctic Cooling FREEZER 7 PRO | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Corsair DDR2 4096MB 800MHz CL4 DHX | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX260 896MB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2010 8:03 PM In reply to

• Philavid1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 11 2006
    • Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,065

You could apply your color correction on filler over your clip

(use the color correction effect in the effects palette)

Remember to enter color correction mode with the red (overwrite) segment selection tool activated

Then apply an animatte (alt+drop) on the color correction effect and key out what you don't want corrected.

Phil

4 Symphony Nitris DX 7 on ISIS 5000 shared storage Z820 workstations 12 core with 16GB of RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:50 PM In reply to

• Elaad
    • Not Ranked
    • Israel
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

How do I key out what I don't want to be corrected?

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 8:41 AM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 497
    • Points 5,985

Elaad:
    How do I key out what I don't want to be corrected?

There is no simple way to do this. 

You have to double up you clip by placing it on layer above. --> then apply your secondary color correction to the lower clip --> then use the antimatte tool and tracking commands to isolate the "green shirt"--> set the mode to 'Key Out' --> render.

It's quite a process - one that you get quick at after using Symphony for ten years - and yes it is annoying that you can't do all this within the CC tool. Nevertheless most of us have been hoping this will change with the next major release of the software - mind you I've had my fingers crossed for 10 years now!

Media Composer 2019.7.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.5 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

jakeheat:
    and yes it is annoying that you can't do all this within the CC tool. Nevertheless most of us have been hoping this will change with the next major release of the software - mind you I've had my fingers crossed for 10 years now!

Don't get me started....

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:22 PM In reply to

• Philavid1
    • Not Ranked
    • Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,065

I assure you the trick I mentionned above works very well, you do not have to double up your clip.

Try it, I always do it that way when I have unwanted parts of the image that change color on a Sec CC.

Fast and easy

Phil

4 Symphony Nitris DX 7 on ISIS 5000 shared storage Z820 workstations 12 core with 16GB of RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 9 2010 3:21 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

The problem with using animatte and spot effect to vignette is that they are both 8 bit effects. When you use them with secondaries your footage will take a quality hit. You can see banding, especially when you feather.

I do not understand why you can't do this inside the CC tool. I would like to see a the CC tool use a higher bit depth too. I believe it currently uses 12 bit. 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Mar 9 2010 4:06 PM In reply to

• Philavid1
    • Not Ranked
    • Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,065

I use a Color correction effect in the effect palette, and work it in the CC Window. Not a Spot color effect. I do not think the process is different.

Phil

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller