Latest post Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:05 PM by EGS. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 7:10 PM

• EGS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 25 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

archive an Avid DV session???

(not sure which sub-forum would be best for this post...)  I'm running Avid Free DVd on Windows XP.  How can I backup an Avid capture/edit session?  It seems the files are scattered all around on various drives and in various folders.  I am an experienced Pro-Tools user, and ALL pertinent session data is contained in ONE folder, so it's a straightforward matter to clone the Pro-Tools session or burn it to data DVD.  How can I safely backup (preferally to data DVD's) ALL Avid session data?  Thanks in advance !!! 

• Thu, Feb 25 2010 7:12 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: archive an Avid DV session???

You can look at apps like Media Mover or MDV to do that with the full version of MC. Not sure how it will work with Free DV.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Feb 25 2010 7:24 PM In reply to

• EGS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Thanx for the quick reply.  Wow $150 for Media Mover is pricey, just to do an archive.  I suppose I'm actually asking a newbie question as to where do ALL the Avid files go?  They seem to be scatterd everywhere.  Is there a way to force ALL files for a simple capture/edit session into a SINGLE top-level folder?  Then, I can do as I do in Pro-Tools and simply data archive that folder.  I need a reliable, simple Avid session archive method so that I can restore later if needed.  Thanx again !!!

• Thu, Feb 25 2010 7:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

In Free DV? I'm not sure. In the full version of MC, you can choose the destination for your media files in the Media Creation Settings. The files should reside in an Avid MediaFiles folder on the HD of your choice.

If you are on a PC, look at MDV to move all those files. It's free.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:05 PM In reply to

• EGS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

BLKDOG:
    If you are on a PC, look at MDV to move all those files.
    Okay, I tried MDV, and also read the rather long post here about MDV.  MDV worked to locate all files for a given project EXCEPT for, I think, the project bin folder.  My goal is to locate ALL items related to a capture/edit session, back 'em up, and then be able to restore it ALL later, if needed.  It seems that using MDV got almost, but not ALL, necessary items.  I do backup/restores all the time with Pro-Tools, so I'm trying to find a reliable method for Avid (free DV version).  Thanks !!! 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller