Latest post Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:44 PM by videoguy. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:49 AM

• Ray Baden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 17 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Good Home System to Start With?

Hi. I'm a professional online linear editor buying an Avid Media Composer 4 system to learn on at home.

I would like to edit using hi def footage from my Canon HV20 as well as an older Sony Super 8 video camera.

I would like to avoid having to buy a mojo (I'm not into very sophisticated effect editing - dissolves, wipes,

and some prebuilt transitions would be fine.... I would like to be able to layer video and keyframe moves)

Can I be safe with a new Windows 7 computer dual core running at 2.8 Ghz? Can I stay under $1,000?

Are there any suggestions you would have for a system that meets these requirements? I have used

Final Cut pretty extensively but I'm finding lots of issues between it and other mac products and codecs.

Thanks

• Wed, Feb 17 2010 8:11 AM In reply to

Re: Good Home System to Start With?

Hi Ray,

I'm sure some other guys will come along with more specific answers, but the first thing you should do is look closely at the Media Composer system requirements.  Take particular note that W7 isn't approved yet (they're working on it, but no word yet on when it'll be approved).

adios,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 17 2010 9:05 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Short answer is anything other than the certified systems is iffy and most of all unsupported; chances are that a recent Intel based PC would successfully run the software, things may be more difficult with an Avid I/O bob; an nVidia Quadro card is required, someone is running off nVidia gaming cards, some tweaks are needed however; a Texas Instruments firewire card such as the certified Pyro is another must have, unless Your motherboard has a TI firewire built in, You can use that for capture and have an additional any brand FW controller for external storage. W7 may or may not work, there's a few threads with configuration tips if You search the forum; a 64 bit OS with 8 GB ram will perform much better than a 32 bit OS; make sure You install the QuickTime and nVidia versions as specified in the readme. Google for videoguys DIY for a safe hardware config and good luck.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:44 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Here is a linkto our latest DIY guide:

Videoguys' DIY7.7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64 AND Now Windows 7

We knew this day would come. We’ve been waiting for more then two years to break free from our 32-bit shackles and finally embrace the 64-bit future. We have seen the future, and we have built a machine to take full advantage of it. Videoguys DIY7 is simply the most cost effective platform for video editing we’ve ever put together. For under $2,000 this machine blows the doors off any DIY build article we’ve ever done. The jump in performance and power from DIY6 to DIY7 is nothing short of amazing Videoguys DIY 7.7
    Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller