Latest post Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:00 PM by Zorfster. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:53 PM

• Zorfster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2006
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I NEED HELP! Importing XDCAM HD MXF files into AXP without disc structure

Hi folks,

I'm in a spot of bother.  I shot a short film on the PDW-700 XDCAM in 1080p/25 HD422 50mbps but my DIT, for some reason best left to the ages, transferred the data off the discs using the FCP workflow instead of the Avid workflow.  I ended up with a folder of proxies and a bunch of hi-res .mov files for each disc but with no structure or XML.  I have re-wrapped the hi-res .mov files into .mxf but Avid won't let me import them.  It says I can't import the files to a bin.

As far as I can tell, the problem is that I don't have the disc structure to go the Proxy --> Offline Edit --> Batch Import --> Hi-res route and Avid refuses to recognise or import the .mxf files that I have even though the Sony XDCAM Viewer software recognises and plays them back.  Also, because I don't have the original discs (budget restrictions made us wipe and re-use, and yes, I know how stupid that is) or the disc structure and XML, Avid won't import the XDCAM proxies using the File --> Import XDCAM Proxy option, which means that I am in file limbo and unable to cut my film.

Is there an upgrade in either AXP or AMC that will allow me to import XDCAM HD .mxf files without the disc structure?  I'm on AXP 5.7.5 right now.

Is there a piece of software that can re-wrap the .mxf I have into an Avid-compatible .mxf?

I've been reading the forums but nobody has really touched on this as far as I can see.  I checked out the BBC R&D Ingex software stuff, but it is still in development and since I'm not a coder, I can't build the program and GUI myself to experiment with re-wrapping to different .mxf types.

I tried using the MainConcept MPEG HD 4.0 plug-in for Premiere Pro CS3 as a stop-gap measure, but once I started importing the .mxf files, PP just started crashing all the time.  Now I can't even open the project.  I really don't want to use FCP - I'm an Avid boy through and through, but I'm losing hope that there are any other options!

Please help!  Thanks you.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:08 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Re: I NEED HELP! Importing XDCAM HD MXF files into AXP without disc structure

You can use Metafuze to Encode to Avid Compliant DNxHD mfx.

http://www.avid.com/metafuze/

or you can use Metacheater. to create an ALE of Your Quick Time yo importit into Avid

http://web.me.com/jabezolssen/metacheater/main.html

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

If the files you have are properly wrapped for the Avid in MXF, then you would not import them. Just drop them into a proper Avid MediaFIles folder structure, open the Application and go to your media tool. If you sort by date and show just master clips, they should pop to the top.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:17 PM In reply to

• Zorfster
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Thank you both for your quick replies.  I've downloaded MetaFuze and MetaCheater and I'm off to the loft to see what magic I can work with them and the Avid MediaFiles plan.  I assume that within the Avid MediaFiles folder I create a sub-folder labelled MXF?  I'm using a clean volume for this film, so I don't have a pre-existing Avid MediaFiles folder on there.

I'll be back shortly to let you know how it  goes.

Thanks again!

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:22 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Since this is your first time doing this, make it easy and just import something, anything, into your project. This will create the correct Avid folder structure on your drives and you won't have to worry about that in your troubleshooting.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 7:38 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

BLKDOG:
    Since this is your first time doing this, make it easy and just import something, anything, into your project. This will create the correct Avid folder structure on your drives and you won't have to worry about that in your troubleshooting.

Sound Advice by Todd. Just importa a still. JPEG BMP or anything and Avid will create the correct folder structure.

Download and read the Metafuze guide.

Some other resources on MetaCheater.

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/currentissue/9547.html

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 8:52 PM In reply to

• Zorfster
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Okay guys.  Thank you for all your help so far, but here's what's happened.

1.  There was an Avid MediaFiles structure on my drive, so I copied and pasted in one of the MXF files as a test.  I copied it into the Avid MediaFiles --> MXF --> 1\ folder and when I opened Avid, it told me there was a CapturetoAAF error that couldn't convert the media descriptor.  When I tried to use the Media Tool to locate the MXF file, nothing showed up in the search box.  Having checked, the MXF files I have are MPEG HD MXFs.  I think this might be the problem, although I don't know how since Avid can read them if they get imported as a batch to replace the proxy files.

2.  MetaFuze - I'm pretty sure I'm either doing something wrong, screwed or just very confused.  I installed it, read the manual (at least the relevant bits) but here's the problem.  When I Scan Folders and point it at the folder with the MXF files in it and tell it to scan for MXF file types, it shows that it sees the files in a brief, progress bar style dialogue box but then nothing happens.  Nothing appears in the Group or Detail screens and it's as if nothing has been done.  I therefore cannot get it to read the MXFs that I have in order to transcode them into a DNxHD MXF file.  When I point it at the folder with the hi-res MOV files in it, it reads the MOV files and lists them in the group screen, but the video preview window won't play the files back and when I transcode them, the MXF file is not recognised by the Media Tool in Avid and, when I try to drag and drop, it says the same thing as before about "This file cannot be placed in a bin.  See the documentation regarding transferring media files".  Also, weirdly, MetaFuze will only transcode the audio, so I end up with an audio-only MXF.  I'm completely stumped.

3.  MetaCheater - This seemed like my big hope.  I created a series of ALEs based on the hi-res MOV files, imported them into Avid and got all the clips (offline) into my bin.  Then I went to Batch Import and tried to bring in the actual media.  A dialogue box opened up asking me to set the file locations since they were all showing up in red with question marks.  I manually linked the files to the MXFs and got the same message as above: "This file cannot be placed in a bin.  See the documentation regarding transferring media files".  I then did it again, this time linking to the hi-res MOV files.  Two things happened.  First, I got a message saying that there was an audio error and asking if I wanted to continue.  Then, once the clip was loaded in, I opened it up to view it and it just showed up white with no picture and completely mute.

Your help and patience with what I can only assume is my incompetence are greatly appreciated.  Anything you think might work, I'll try it.  Is there a re-wrapper like MetaFuze that will recognise a MPEG HD MXF and re-wrap it into a DNxHD 120 or 185 MXF?  Am I doing something wrong or is this just XDCAM HD messing with my head?

Thanks again for all the help.  I'll wait for the next round of suggestions.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 9:01 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

The White Picture means that Avid does not recognizes the Codec.

If You still have the Hires QT Try converting them with Metafuze.

It is Your patience and perseverence that will solve the issue. We are only droping a few words from our experience.

The right tool will solve the issue.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 9:11 PM In reply to

• Zorfster
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

When I point MetaFuze at the folder with the hi-res MOV files in it, it reads the MOV files and lists them in the group screen, but the video preview window won't play the files back and when I transcode them into DNxHD 185, only the audio is transcoded and even that is not recognised by the Media Tool in Avid.  When I try to drag and drop, it says the same thing as before about "This file cannot be placed in a bin.  See the documentation regarding transferring media files".

To sum up:

MetaFuze doesn't recognise the hi-res MOV files even though it will load them into the group screen.

MetaFuze doesn't recognise the MPEG HD MXF files at all.

MetaFuze only seems to transcode audio from the MOV files, and the resulting MXF can't be imported or found using the Media Tool.

I created the MXF files from the hi-res MOV files using a re-wrapper called NanoFlash.  On my PC, the hi-res MOV files only play with sound but no video.  QT tells me I need more software, but I've already installed the ProRes codec.

I'm extremely baffled by what else I can try.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:00 PM In reply to

• Zorfster
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Okay, I think I might be onto something.  A workaround that I'm trying right now is as follows:

I found a site (link here) that sells the XD codecs (EX, HD, HD 422) for PC.  It took some searching but there is someone out there doing it.  I downloaded a demo and installed it.  It works!  I can now watch the hi-res MOV files in Quick Time and also in MetaFuze.

I'm currently transcoding the now visible QT MOV into DNxHD 185 using MetaFuze.  I will then do what Todd suggested earlier and put the test MXF into the Avid MediaFiles folder.  If it shows up and/or I can import it into Avid, I have my long-winded solution, i.e. transcode the hi-res MOV files into MXFs in MetaFuze, then copy into the MediaFiles folder.

What I will also try once the transcode is done is simply importing the hi-res MOVs into Avid directly.  Since I now have the codec, there's no reason why Avid can't import the MOVs directly (unless the audio becomes a problem).  If this fix works, I'll be able to cut my film in Avid and I just have to pay Calibrated Software for their codec, which, at $80, is pretty fair considering the running around and possible FCP ccutting it saves me.

If it doesn't work, I will cry like a little girl, go to bed in a huff and try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  Here's hoping!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller