Latest post Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:46 PM by Jayanta. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 2 2010 3:16 AM

• medium512
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 2 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Media Consolidation Problem - Offline Media

I am working in a project that contains around 3-4 Terrabytes of info spanning several 2 tb drives all housing Avid Mediafiles folders and OMFI Mediafiles folders. The project, as well as some drives, are getting pretty old so I wanted to move some MXF files from an old drive to a newer one and use the old as a backup. I did this without using the consolidate media tool and by simply dragging the files into the new folder. I know about the MXF file limit and performance issues and also wanted to see if there were any duplicate files so i created a new Avid MediaFiles folder and new sub directories from 1 to 12. Once I determined which media files were duplicates i moved all the files into new subfolders and relaunched AVid. When it came back up only some, very little, of the media was online. Re Linking didnt work as well as creating new database files (which takes forever in this project and I would really like to avoid doing it a third time)

Basically I moved some MXF files from one Mediafiles folder to another and rebuilt the database files and now a lot of the media is offline. The Media files folders are all structured properly and on the root levels. The only thing I think is amiss is that the original drive I moved these files from also has a OMFI folder containing a lot of files so I elected to leave it where it was and simply rename the Avid Mediafiles folder so Avid wouldn't recognize it any longer.

Please help. I've stared at a computer screen all day and my boss hates it when things slow down because of technical issues. I appreciate any help y'all can throw my way.

• Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:30 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Re: Media Consolidation Problem - Offline Media

It is very hard to visualise what you actually did so it is har to give a simple answer without more information. You should also give your complete system specs e.g. whether you are in PC or Mac etc.

I can only suggest some simple steps you can take.

1. Undid what you did.( If moved some media move them back) beacuse if you simply copied them to another location then nothing should be offline because the orgin structure is not modified.

2 Delete all database for all drive and all directories and rebuild the database.

3 Use MDV for Avid and Scan all Drive which will tell you what media from what project is where. Which will give you some information as to what you can do

MDV for Avid> http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/

Edit > Sorry missed that you posted in th Mac forum . If you are in Mac MDV will not work.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:19 PM In reply to

• medium512
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 2 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks. Getting started on it this morning. I'll let you know what happens.

• Tue, Feb 2 2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

medium512:

Thanks. Getting started on it this morning. I'll let you know what happens.

Good Luck and Cheers.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller