Latest post Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:59 PM by fidelio2. 67 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:03 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,005

Re: Really sad about this situation....

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Apple is getting more and more geared to simplifying the user experience and that may end up hurting them in the long run when users would be looking for more from their creative apps.

The thing to remember about Apple is that their core business is selling hardware. If they can make software that is easy to use and can only be used on their computers, that's all they need to do. That's why the price of FCStudio keeps dropping, it is really just a way of selling computers.

If you start on iWeb and then realise you need more and buy Adobe or whatever, they still sold you a computer!

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2010 4:09 AM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Kenton.VanNatten:
    that most of the so-called "low-end" market I believe are seeing a $1200-$1500 cost difference between two software packages that on the surface appear to be very similar. 

That's where the comparison breaks down further. It's a much greater difference, once you factor in hardware.

The minimum HD gear with Avid is Mojo DX, which adds $7500 over the software. Compare that with about $1-1.5K give or take, for a mid-level AJA, BMD or Matrox product. I don't accept the RT effects argument, because with Avid stuff you still have to render before final output most of the time. Not to mention that a lot of delivery isn't to air or tape any longer, so you really just need a low-cost, but decent solution to get video to a monitor for viewing. If a small shop has 2 or 3 rooms, these differences start to add up.

In the OP's original situation, it sounds like the film is file-based. This means you could do FCP+MXO2Mini for about $1500 total versus $10K for MC+MojoDX. Both Plus computer, storage, monitors, etc.

- Oliver

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:07 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,611
    • Points 65,840

OliverPeters:
    The minimum HD gear with Avid is Mojo DX, which adds $7500 over the software.
    I do agree with Your post except that the minimum HD gear for file based workflows is a two videocard setup using full screen playback, but of course the company does not advertise this as they want to sell their I/O boxes, which is rather difficult, given the huge amount of money they ask for the DX boxes compared to Aja, Matrox and the like. One of the overlooked points here is that Avid does not want to accept the fact that with the computing power available today proprietary hardware does not play the role it used to play back when computers were less powerful and a dedicated engine was essential to run an editing application; they had the best, or perhaps the only available engine at the time, and were the only player on the market, it isn't like that anymore, either they face reality and switch from the hardware approach to the software world or perish. Someone wrote that Apple is an hardware seller, well the thing is that Avid is an hardware (would be) seller too, but as of today the hardware is the workstation and all is needed is a fairly priced I/O interface, anything else is on the CPU/software combo, and this is a fact. Other than lowering the price of their hardware they should also underline that with FSP they offer the most cost effective solution over the competition, but they prefer pushing Mojo and Nitris DX, soon to be useless iron as the industry is moving toward file based equipments.

Carl, keeping my job for the next 20 years or so doesn't depend on Avid remaining in business, I'm an editor, whatever the NLE I'll use it to make a living...

To the original poster: as money matters I would try to beat the price of the FCP rental company, I've done it myself to drive FCP oriented productions to let me use my own Avid, and they are mostly attracted by such deals; it's more of a bloodbath than a struggle as described before, but I'm a craftman who wants to use the tools I'm confortable with to accomplish my job, I do not make my income on the equipment and as long as it pays for itself and I get my editor salary on top of the rental fee I'm happy enough.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 10:50 AM In reply to

BLKDOG:

Here's the quote I took from Jobs' Keynote today...

"Apple is a mobile company. That's who we are."

Within this small post are 2 big messages.

- The first one says something about Apple current market position and where it thinks its core business is.

- The second one is that Avid does NOT see Apple as a mayor competitor. The fact that Todd places this post shows to me the problem in a nutshell.

Todd please read carefully what happened to OP and what happens in this thread and share it with all decision makers inside Avid. Carl has a point... a producer that closes a deal with OP. OP buying Avid Equipment and then the producer changing his mind wanting FCP, that shows an unfair way of doing business. But it is what it is.

Instead of listening to Steve Jobs you, and I don't mean this personal to-wards you but Avid in general, would be better of listening to OP and his story. I would not be amazed if the producer OP is working for was also watching Steve Jobs and is making his decision for FCP based on similar sales stories.

Why not contact OP so Avid marketing can get in contact with OP's producer? You could at least learn what the motivations were in this case. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 11:35 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,256
    • Points 30,505

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Apple is getting more and more geared to simplifying the user experience and that may end up hurting them in the long run when users would be looking for more from their creative apps.

Good point.  It will be intereesting to see if Mr. Jobs gets bored with his foray into the professional post production industry and will just "i-everything"....or buy Adobe and do it for real...

For the OP: I feel for you in that situation, especially after you spent some significant coin on gear for the job.  It's a reallly tough place for a freelance editor.  You can't really say "no, I will only work on an Avid system" because that could lose you the gig.  So we all learn ways to cut it on another box, which then sustains the entire problem.  Without a significant thought-process change at Avid (or Jobs getting bored), I just see this happening more and more.  And the darn thing about it is that recent Avid product releases make it an overall better product on many many levels!  Its a brand-message issue for Avid.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

switthaus:
    if Mr. Jobs gets bored with his foray into the professional post production industry and will just "i-everything"

The assumption is that ProApps is so tied to the rest of the company. On its own, ProApps makes a lot of money - not iPod/iPhone/iTunes money - but still a lot. It may not get Apple's front page attention, but it can continue to develop and expand quite nicely. There is also another Apple-based business model. That's Filemaker. Apple could easily spin off ProApps into a subsidiary and continue along the "iEverything" route. This would still leave ProApps as a strong competitor.

- Oliver

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Maybe Avid should buy pro apps from Apple.

I would not be surprised if the 'solution' is corporate deals ie Adobe buys Avid or Avid buys Pro Apps or Apple buys them all. 

• Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:59 PM In reply to

• fidelio2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2007
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

Hi there!

I´m the author of the OP.

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and support.

I´ve read all the comments and I think we are all  in the same boat.

I wish , in a future, Avid (the company) will become as good as AVID (The users community)

Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller